Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

step placement...

Old 08-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default step placement...

just wondering, on average how many screw in style steps does it take to get to 20-25 foot high?? im guessing 2 foot or so per step..so probably about 10-12 per tree...i dont know...i never hung them...watched dad do it a couple times..put up the steps and never hung the stands lol...that was at a buddies camp which noone goes to after that year..

i got 14 or 15 steps...i plan to hang 2 lock ons and take the bottom 4-6 with me...just thinking weather or not i need more steps..say i take 5 home and leave 5 in each tree...thats 10 steps per tree...how high will 10 take me??
Old 08-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: step placement...

Ten will get you high enough. Probalby around 20 ft depending on how long your legs are
Old 08-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

dannnng that was quick! lol

thanx alot michael...i was guessin 2ft or so a step...figured my 15 or so would get me close...i might pick up a few more..just to have...heck...i might need to bury the ones i take out...thatll be the first thing i forget...hunting from the climber all week and then switching to one of the lock ons...i KNOW it'll happen lol....

between taking the bottom steps and having the stands locked to the tree, i hope i can keep the hunters honest...even game them awesome camo jobs...trying to hide them from hunters eyes...stands dont last long here...sad to say. and i would hate to roll in at 4am to see someone up my tree...
Old 08-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya i think that should keep people from gettin in ur tree
Old 08-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

tree steps are getting rediculously expensive...
Old 08-06-2007, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

tree steps are getting rediculously expensive...
You arent kiddin..i just bought some API skyhooks that were rediculously expensive cause they are discontinued...
Old 08-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can't believe it honestly, I mean how much does it really cost to machine a piece of aluminum. And people wonder why people build homemade stands
Old 08-07-2007, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is just a thought... But I know how much of a pain those screw in steps can be, so I would think it would be easier to buy yourself like a 4 foot, or whatever length they come in, section of climbing sticks or something like that. It would be alot quicker to remove them, and alot simpler to put on when it is dark out. Just my opinion.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Friends of mine use lag bolts for their steps. Drill holes in the tree and then put the botls in, easy to take out as well. Plus, cost is probably a wash, or less for the bolts.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think Mike hit it about right on, about 10 - 12. I like to put two across from each other at the top to stand on when hanging the stand, more footingand a linemans belt. When i take the bottom four or five out i stick a small twig in the holes so i can find the holes in the dark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.