Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why....

Old 08-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Why....

Im not going to lie and make up some answer about how i wanted to sit in the woods and enjoy nature, i did it because my family hunted, my friends hunted, and they do it on TV!.. I Always thaught it was cool and i just wanted to whack sumthing, after i took a few deer i started enjoying just Hunting period, No matter if i killed something or not, i enjoy sein my buddys kill sumthin just as much as taking somethin myself, and also enjoy just sein deer. The meat taste good too [8D]
Old 08-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

When I was younger, it was to be with my dad and to shoot a gun. I started out shooting doves at 7, Geese at 9.
Now that I am older and bought my 135 acre farm in Illinois, I love to watch mydeer herd mature after my 1st 5 years of ownership.It is my no. 1 stress relief, also. I quit gun hunting because I like the challange of bow hunting. I don't get the "thrill" of accomplishment whenI scored with a gun.Bow hunting is100 times harder. It thrills me to take a nice buck, but I don't have to score to be happy. I just enjoy sitting in one of my stands enjoyingnature.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

dad loved to hunt...has been hunting and fishing all his life. i started out fishing clean back to the diaper days..no joke. then came walks in the woods where dad would show my buck rubs and scrapes and turkey scratchings and deer trails and groundhog holes, let me catch snakes and turtles and stuff like that...then came hunting. i couldnt hunt till 12..but dad started taking me shooting at about 5 or 6. i was shooting a BB gun since 4 or so. i remember the first time i shot. he set out a can someone left laying and helped me fill it full of holes with the 22. then about 5 he started taking me groundhog hunting and squirrel hunting. i was his eyes im sure he let alot of critters go that he seen and i didnt...but i remember he would always act like he couldnt see what i saw for a while..."you sure thats a squirrel?? i dont see no squirrel...DAD!! right there!! ohhh CRACK!! you got him dad!!" then 6 i started running coon hounds with him at night.

the rest of the years upto 12 i spent doing much of the same...scouting, shooting, tagging along on hunts, fishing...i loved it. when my 11th Christmas came around i was thrilled to get my first gun. a single shot 20ga. 12th birthday i got a marlin 22 rifle. that spring i started turkey hunting. havent stopped since.

now things have changed. im 20. been working since about 12..but got a real job at 16. along with the outdoors dad also taught me responsibility. if i wanted something i often worked for it and bought it. bought 2 vehicles, more guns than i can count. pay my own bills..when i turned 16 i worked as much as possible...dad always worked alot...our schedules havent met up since. havent been to deer camp in....3 years. college i dont get the first day off...still hunt at home but dont have the time for a camp trip...dad still loves to hunt..but doesnt go at it like he used to. when he slows down with work he will get back into it.

i got into archery all on my own. dad used to be a bowhunter when i was young....but didnt have the time to keep with it and gave it up. last year i wanted to bowhunt. saved my money and bought my first bow. also got into hunting with a flintlock rifle on my own when i was 16.

i do it because thats what i love to do. i love the outdoors and thats who i am. thats my lifestyle and how i was brought up. we dont need the meat...but dad grew up hunting and raised me the same way..

when i rolled my truck spotting deer one night dad didnt have much to say...except it was his fault for raising me like he did...i thanked him. i wouldnt wanna be anyone else.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:23 PM

i didnt really like hunting untill a couple of years ago...my dad got me into it just took him a little longer than usual to get me into it and now that im sixteen i love it
Old 08-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

The neighbor across the street bow hunted.

Seemed pretty cool.

He tought me how to shoot a bow.

I had to learn how to hunt on my own.

That was 1963.

No compounds

No climbers

No real camo

Fred Bear still had hair.

You could call Bear archery and talk to him.

Split limbs meant you had a serious problem.

"CENTER SHOT" ment you had a bullseye.

It was a little different "Back in the day"
Old 08-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

To kill some deer Our family motto was shoot the first deer in the bait pile. The time spent at our cabin was a bonus with family.

Today it is for other reasons.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:08 PM

i started because my dad went, and i love deer. i remember being a toddler riding in the car up to the mountains and scanning every field for a glimpse of a deer on the way up. i couldnt wait to start hunting.
once i got old enough to see what was going on, i realized that my dad had no clue what he was doing. hunting to him was getting a license on the way to the mountains, sitting at the base of a tree for opening day of pa rifle, and going home. no scouting, no trees, no blinds, nothing. wander into the woods and find a tree at a place that "looks good".
years later now (12 to be exact), i have found my way back into hunting. i have been an avid archer the whole time but never bothered much to hunt...just liked shooting my bow. i consider this season my first for bowhunting.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad started me out when I was8 or so (I was the spotter then). I use to go and sit and watch with him and not to long after I got to shootmy first deer. I remember itlike it was yesterday.

Why I love hunting? Well, it comes down to, I love the outdoors; I love the challenge; I love the chase; I love the feeling of anticipation(youjust never know what might walk out next); Ilove the fellowshipwith family andfriends;I just love all that entails the great sport of... hunting!
Old 08-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started hunting when I was about 10 or so, I would walk a mile into the bottomsat 0530 just to get to my favorite tree before daylight. There was not a squirrel in the woods that was safe back then. I would go hunting to get away from everything else, still have the same goal after33 years.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I started becuase I grew up in a hunting/fishing/trapping household and it was something that sparked inside of me an I never looked back.
Now take my bro, same opportunities and all, but it just never took for him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.