Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Discussion thread of the day

Old 08-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Discussion thread of the day

I would have to take him.Thats a buck of a life time to me.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

I would shoot him just to gain experience LOL .
Yes, but would you be as experienced a a guy that hunts all season and tags 14 does, 6 buttons, and 4 year and half old bucks?
LOL I would be more experienced at hanging that big ol' rack on my wall
Old 08-03-2007, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think any mature deer with archery equipment is a trophy. Making P&Y is a bonus, but Im not complaining if I kill a 4.5 year old buck that scores 124.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

[blockquote]quote:

I think in cases like this, the antlers take precedence over maturity the majority of the time. [/blockquote]

Fair question....

It gets better when there's a 140 class 2.5 yr old in the same set with a 120 class 4.5 yr old.
Thats good. Tough call. I think most 'maturebucks only' hunters will probably take the 4.5 yr old. The reason I think this is because I believe most of the 'mature bucks only' hunters have become 'mature buck only' hunters because they have harvested a handfull of 140 class bucks and are taking the next step/challenge.

I think that 'wall hanger bucks' hunters will take the 140 class buck because....well....then are looking for a bigger wall hanger before they are looking for maturity. Again, JMO. Good question.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

how do you know that in the next coupl years he wount gain 20 to 30 or more inches? then that would make him a world class P&Y, i am not sure of the state record there but in a couple years he might beat it. if he were to walk under my stand anywhere, he would get thumped though. no matter how old (except 1.5)
Old 08-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think I am going to take a small game hunting I can shoot more critters and out experience you all I am going to start H & T scoring system. Heads and Tails[8D]
Old 08-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buck of my lifetime (so far) so he's going down whether he's 2 days or 10 years old.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

I see him as at least 4.5. Look at the slope in his back. I really don't care I would still shoot him
Germ, there appears to be a slope in his back because he is standing in the hole from my mineral lick.

This is a great discusion topic. I personally believe this deer is 4.5 years old at most. Im all about QDM and everything and i can pass up a 3.5 140 or even better but this deer would be my biggest deer ever.

Luckily im the ONLY person who will be able to hunt this buck (unless he travels a long distance) so most likely this year the only person that will be able to harvest this buck will be me (or anyone i bring with me to hunt). Of course theres natural causes of death, poaching and cars, but if i dont get a crack at him and he survives these other obstacles he truely could be a recordbook deer in a year or two.

Only time will tell! All i know is that hes on my list of shooters this year regardless of age
Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

I think I am going to take a small game hunting I can shoot more critters and out experience you all I am going to start H & T scoring system. Heads and Tails[8D]
while your at it make one for waterfowl, mabey F & B (feathers and beak)
Old 08-03-2007, 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

I would shoot him just to gain experience LOL .
You would gain no experience if you were in the wrong location. []
Q.D.M. its not about the horns (antlers)
You're right. It's about the money that's associated with the horns.

Quick Reply: Discussion thread of the day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.