Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need advice on two issues...

Old 12-31-2002, 06:29 PM

Default Need advice on two issues...

1) Yesterday I shot at a small doe and missed. I think the arrow just touched a twig. As I examined the arrow I noticed a small dent (aluminum arrow) about a half inch long but not deep. The arrow is not bent at all. Do you think the arrow is still usable?

2) My quiver attaches to my sights which attach to my bow. For some reason I cannot get a tight attachment to the bow - which means the who thing lightly wobbles. It is annoying as I am always bumping it whe moving around. There are two screws to hold it which are tightened with an allen wrench. Is there anything I can put between the bow and the sight/quiver combo to tighten the hold. It seems the gap is about 1/16 of an inch.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:53 PM

Default RE: Need advice on two issues...

I don't shoot aluminum arrows so I will not give you any advice on the arrow.
As for the quiver and sights, try nylon washers, or faucet gaskets. They both should snug up the quiver and sights to the bow, so you don't rattle around the woods.
Bob
Old 12-31-2002, 07:52 PM

Target shoot the arrow to see if there are any flaws. I, personally, won't hunt with an arrow if I even get a funny feeling about it. I need all the help I can get!

As for the quiver, Bubba had some good ideas. I put Moleskin btw mine and shut it right up.

Trushot }}------>
Old 12-31-2002, 10:54 PM

I have a friend who numbers his arrows and only uses the ones that group well to hunt with.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:23 PM

you say you have a small dent in an aluminum arrow....its trashed, scrap it.

as for the quiver i would suggest this...if you can't get it tight on your bow then rig something up on your treestand take it off of your bow and attach it there once you get in your stand.
Old 01-01-2003, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the advice on the moleskin, nylon washers & faucet gaskets (replied here and by email). I'll check on all three and see what might fit the best.
Since I hunt from the ground only the tree stand idea is out. That's why the wobbly quiver was such a big problem to begin with. If the other ideas don't work then I will look into a quiver I can carry over my shoulder.
Fortunately I have enough arrows (for now) that I can set aside the dented one for practice use only.
Old 01-01-2003, 07:04 PM

Just a thought.
Your dinked aluminum arrow could still be good for small game hunting. Maybe? Depends on how bad it shoots. I use my crappy arrows for small game. I roll them on a table edge to see how bad they wobble. Sometimes you can bend them back and get them almost perfect. I took six squirels on one arrow once. It was pretty wacked by the 6th one. Amazing I was able to retrieve it that many times. I would have got more but it broke when it hit a small sapling the last time I shot it.
On the quiver thing. Have you ever thought about a hip quiver? Thats what I use. I made mine out of deer skin, but I have seen ones similar to mine in cabelas, except they aren't made from deer skin. I like the hip quiver because it doesn't get in my way like an "on the bow" type. And I can take it off and put it on easily.
Just trying to help

The spirit of the woods is an old good friend