Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Climber treestand ($280)
73.02%
Rangefinder ($290)
26.98%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

which is most important?

Old 07-31-2007, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: which is most important?

For me, a climber. I live in Indiana and the shots are typically 20 yards or less because of the vegetation.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

After reading your response i definately say go with a climber (or multiple hang-ons). Much more important IMO then a range finder.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you will need the climber to get up higher to see those bunnies in the food plot!
Old 07-31-2007, 09:41 PM
Fork Horn

thanks everyone. its looking like most choose the stand over the rangefinder. ill probably base my decision on the results.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most shots at Deer are 30 yards or less and since you dont have a stand, I would go with the stand.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Most of my shots are inside 20 yards. Don't need no stinkin rangefinder for that [:-]. Plus you can mark yardages, shoot practice arrows, etc... ahead of time to determine yardage. Can't beat a summit viper
Old 08-01-2007, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to only use climbers, now I rarely use one at all. Problem with climbers is that you have to have a perfect tree to use them, seldom is that perfect tree within range of where you need to be, and then, a perfect tree has little/no cover or concealment, which is important to me.

If you have other forms of stands already, then I would certainly get the rangefinder. If you can ONLY hunt with a climber, such as on public land or on a place that will not allow you leave a stand, then there is your answer from my point of view.

I think rangefinders are a nice luxury, but I only use mine in the preseason or on the rifle range. Once I know how far everything is from my stand, I don't bother to break it out anymore... just one more thing to manage you know.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Here's a tip.

Go to your local hardware store (big box) and buy some of those little flags that utilities locators use to locate phone/water/telephone lines. Buy about 6 in each color (3 different colors). Place them at 15, 20 and 25 yds around your perimeter.....and you'll know your yardages (assuming you use the same trees to climb).

You'll be giving away your stand location.....but you will know the yardages.

I carry my rangefinder about 1/3 of the season.....and then I figure I'm guessing close enough. I range trees around my stand a lot....just for practice, early, but I rarely carry the thing after about a month.

A good climber opens up opportunities you might not ever get.....and gets you off the ground.

Good luck this year. Be safe.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

Without a doubt, a LRF has been one of THE single most important items I've carried since I bought my first one in '96. It goes with me on EVERY bowhunt I make!
Same here.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Nikon 440 just got drizzeled on and is junk. My first thought was what the heck am I gonna do. I have become so used to using it I have become overly reliant. Sort of like using a GPS to much. You forget to look at your surrounding cause it's so easy to get back to truck without paying attention.
The rangefinders are pretty neat toys though. Just shoot a few trees from your stand and put it away for the day.

Quick Reply: which is most important?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.