Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broad heads vs Practice tips

Old 07-31-2007, 04:23 PM

Default RE: Broad heads vs Practice tips

try this site.
www.martinarchery.com/o_manual/2001manual/finetune.html
Old 08-06-2007, 09:07 AM

Another Spitfire user here.

Shooting a Vectrix XL 70lb, 31DL and a 450 grain arrow with a Spitifre 125 on the end. Fly like a bullet. I shot 2 deer in Montana last year with a spitfire and both time the head worked great. new bow this year, but if my target is a gauge, this set up is a real killer.

Absolutely pounds the target. You should see the impact and penetration at 75 yards. Those antelope don't have a chance.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

There's nothing wrong with shooting mechs -- out of a well-tuned bow. But the reason for shooting them shouldn't be to cover up poor tuning. I've killed nearly 30 deer with mechs, but it was because I wanted the devastating wound channel I could obtain with them. I also always shot them out of a perfectly tuned bow.

Follow what the others have already recommended, and right-click and save Easton's tuning guide to your hard drive. Once you get your setup tuned properly, I assure you you'll enter the woods with a level of confidence in your bow and ability that simply wasn't there before -- irrespective of whether you ultimately end up choosing a fixed-blade head or a mechanical.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

Apparently my comment about using a Mechanical Broadhead was slightly misinterpreted. I don't recommend using any broadhead out of a poorly tuned bow. However, I have tuned many bows and have gotten to the point that a fixed blade head would impact within and inch right or left and up an down of my field points.But, when I am tuning a bow to shoot fixed blade broadheads, I tune it for the best shot groupingI can get. When I get to where Iam shaving fletchings at 20, 30, and 40 yards I leave it alone. If that tune does not hit exactly the same as my field points, so be it. All I was saying to the postedquestion was that even a well tuned bow may notimpact broadheads exactly the same as field points, but they will be close. If you don't wantthe aggrevation of fine tuning that final inch or so (most people can't shoot well enough to tell there is an inch difference) use not just any mechaincal but a Rage that cuts asgood as a fixed blade.Regardless, if you haven't shot your hunting setup, and if you can't shoot good groups out to your maximum effective range with any type of broadhead, stay on the porch.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:22 AM

I shoot Sonic 100 grain broadheads and they fly the same as my field tips. Use the tuning system by Easton.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the clarification, jd... I think this statement is what gave some of us cause for concern:

However, if your bow is shooting really good and you don't want to mess with fine tuning for broadhead flight, try Rage broadheads.
I think it was everyone's interpretation of what you meant by "fine tuning"... your following statement is much clearer and explains it better. I know sometimes it's a pain to have to write everything out in so much detail, and I'm guilty of it myself sometimes.

But, when I am tuning a bow to shoot fixed blade broadheads, I tune it for the best shot groupingI can get. When I get to where Iam shaving fletchings at 20, 30, and 40 yards I leave it alone. If that tune does not hit exactly the same as my field points, so be it. All I was saying to the postedquestion was that even a well tuned bow may notimpact broadheads exactly the same as field points, but they will be close. If you don't wantthe aggrevation of fine tuning that final inch or so (most people can't shoot well enough to tell there is an inch difference) use not just any mechaincal but a Rage that cuts asgood as a fixed blade.
I know we all just didn't want to have someone misinterpret your first statement as giving the ok to shoot a mech out of a poorly tuned bow, or -- as I've seen often times -- out of a bow that's not tuned at all.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

I think some of us who shoot year round and hunt eveything we can with a bow, sometimes assume that other people know and think archery just like we do. I hope my last posting did clearify my original intentions. Iwould never recommend anyone hunting with a poorly tuned bow. Whereas IAGREE with all of the comments regarding using Easton's Tuning instruction, there is stillanother variable to consider. There are some fixed blade broadheads that will not impact the same as others. I was a shooter for one of the major bow manufacturers for several years and in that time I tested several different broadheads and other equipment. The head you personally prefer to shoot may hit the same as your field points, but some other heads may not. Their design may cause wind planing to a greater degree with your arrow, fletching size, bow poundage, etc.. I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but this subject probably isn't as simple and straight forward as it appeared. Regardless, I reiterate that anyone who hunts should make every effort to be competent with their equipment out to a maximum effective range. Everything we hunt deserves that respect and effort from us.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot broadheads exclusively, never an issue.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

I shoot broadheads exclusively, never an issue.

Great shooting! What happens when you step back to 10 yards?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I won't candycoat it, that was only at 20yrds yesterday morn.I won't shoot past 30!

Quick Reply: Broad heads vs Practice tips

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.