Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

salt blocks

Old 07-24-2007, 05:38 PM

Default salt blocks

I put a few salt blocks out in the woods yesterday.my question is do they really work.i put 1 big one out which is a regular one.and i put an acorn brick style out and an apple one out.i thought i would try it out.a couple of years ago i put out deer caine.nothing never touched it. thank you
Old 07-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: salt blocks

Yes they work this time of year but as soon as the acorns drop they rarely touch them. They work good for attracting deer to one area for a trail cam but by the time season starts it wont attract them anymore.

Die Hard
Old 07-24-2007, 06:10 PM

Yeah, they work, specially in the spring and summer....They don't mess w/ them much in the fall though.

I make my own from stuff at the local feed store....cheap and easy, and makes a bunch.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put out a regular size salt block last year and the Deer have used it alot....also have several other types of mineral licks out in different area's and I have seen good signs on all of them that the deer have been using them!
Old 07-24-2007, 06:44 PM

True. They don't touch them or visit them as much in the fall but they do help with on-going travel patterns throughout the year. They just don't visit the actual sites as much.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

To keep them coming..trow some corn around it and mix the corn with any flavor mineral....also take you some Apple Cider or Juice and pour it on the block or around it if you don't add the flavoered mineral.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Chasebaker

To keep them coming..trow some corn around it and mix the corn with any flavor mineral....also take you some Apple Cider or Juice and pour it on the block or around it if you don't add the flavoered mineral.

UH, ILLEGAL in Illinois...
Old 08-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Illegal in NY also.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

It seems to be used more when they need the minerals in the spring. Helps with the horns. Come winter they might stop but not like they do in the spring.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

It seems to be used more when they need the minerals in the spring. Helps with the horns.
Salt blocks do not do anything for any type of growth.

Quick Reply: salt blocks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.