Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

spray paint for arrow wraps????

Old 07-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default spray paint for arrow wraps????

Who has used gloss spray paint for arrow wraps and what was your results? Also how did the glue bond tot he paint?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:59 AM

Default RE: spray paint for arrow wraps????

I have used spray paint for cresting before. . .the paint worked out well, put it on very lightly, using multiple thin coats. But when it came to fletching the arrows, I seem to have some adhesion problems when using super glues. . .

From what I understand, the fletching tape, might work better, especially when using feathers.

Someone else may have a better idea of how to properly use spray paint for cresting.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

i use fletch tite platinum and blazer vanes,
Old 07-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think this thread will help you out a bit...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1399868&mpage=1
Old 07-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fletching tape is great, but only for feathers. It doesn't work at all with vanes.

The paint you use must be compatible with the shafting. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe that Krylon Fusion for plastic would work better on carbon shafts than regular spray paint. (?) Then the glue you use has to be compatible with the paint. Test it before using it. If the glue makes the paint buckle up and melt, it's not compatible. Superglue should be compatible since it doesn't contain the right kind of solvents to dissolve paint, so I don't understand Bols' problem.

You're right to keep in mind that you're not sticking fletching on the shaft itself. You're sticking them onto the paint. If the paint doesn't have good adhesion, then no glue in the world will keep the fletching on.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Fletching tape is great, but only for feathers. It doesn't work at all with vanes.

The paint you use must be compatible with the shafting. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe that Krylon Fusion for plastic would work better on carbon shafts than regular spray paint. (?) Then the glue you use has to be compatible with the paint. Test it before using it. If the glue makes the paint buckle up and melt, it's not compatible. Superglue should be compatible since it doesn't contain the right kind of solvents to dissolve paint, so I don't understand Bols' problem.

You're right to keep in mind that you're not sticking fletching on the shaft itself. You're sticking them onto the paint. If the paint doesn't have good adhesion, then no glue in the world will keep the fletching on.
Arthur. . .I don't know if I even understood the problems I was having.

It could have been a paint to carbon issue, where the paint was either too thick and wasn't drying, or it wasn't completely adhering to the shaft. The Fusion paint you mentioned may have a better chance when applied to the carbon shaft.

As far as glues go, I was using Fletch-Tite (I believe) at the time. I don't know if that contains the solvents as you mentioned above, but the vanes just seemed to pull right off. I am leaning towards the fact that the spray paint was indeed, not sticking to the shaft, as the base of the vanes were covered in white paint and where I had placed the vane on the shaft, was bare shaft.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

What if i fletched my arrows with all white blazers, then painted them?
Old 07-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am leaning towards the fact that the spray paint was indeed, not sticking to the shaft, as the base of the vanes were covered in white paint and where I had placed the vane on the shaft, was bare shaft.
Well THERE'S yer problem! [8D] Paint on the base of the vane and bare shaft where the vane was means either the paint didn't stick or the glue wasn't compatible and acted just like paint remover.

Fletchtite does contain the solvents I mentioned. Traditional shooters have known for a long time about these compatibility issues. Some paints/lacquers will be eaten up by Bohning products but not by another glue like Duco. Some will get eaten up by Duco but not by Bohning. Some can't take either one and you have to use superglue.

Like I said, I haven't tried the Fusion paint yet and am just thinking out loud about it. Sounds like something worth a try.

Killadoe, you certainly can fletch first and then paint. It's just that you'll have a bit of challenge when it comes time to refletch, getting your new fletches back in the same spots.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, your right, I guess my main reason was I wanted soemthing a lil lighter than a wrap, and i figured spraypaint was it. Ahhh i shoot blazers and can go with a smaller wrap anyway.