Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A bit of perspective on shooting

Old 07-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default A bit of perspective on shooting

I don't want to start up any wars or anything, but as some may know I'm trying to get proficient enough with a longbow to take a deer with this fall. I've been shooting 3-6x a weeks since may, and a little less back to march. I'm still not sure if I'll have the confidence to head afield with it yet with 7 weeks to the season. So tonight I busted out the wheels and took my 1st shots with it since last halloween. A couple shots at 20 easily in the bull, and put my 3rd shot at 35yds dead perfect into the vitals of my deer target.

4 months of solid shooting and not confident enough to hunt, 3 shotswith the compound and 100% confident I could kill a deer tomorrow if need be.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: A bit of perspective on shooting

All I can say is use what you are comfortable with. But I wouldnt be worried about taking the long bow. It sounds as though you have been practicing your butt off with it...
Old 07-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Dominant Buck

I feel confident I could pick up a 7 iron and hit it fairly straight and 160 yds......because I've hit thousands of them (as you've shot thousands of shots through your compound). It's not "quite" a fair comaprison. You've been shooting a compund for years.

I know what you're saying, though.....and I applaud your concern (and I'm betting you're likely proficient). Keep at it. I'm thinking of making the switch, too.....but it won't be this season.....or maybe even next. In my eyes....it's a natural progression (for ME). Good luck to you, this year.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

As things often work out, I can foresee a huge disappointment in the making. As sure as you climb into the stand with that compound, your deer will stroll right up to your stand and give himself up at 10 yards. A chip shot for the longbow. And you'll wind up kicking yourself because you left it in camp.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats why I have simply made the decision to put it away completely and shoot my arse off with my recurve and longbow............I will stay within my limits, accept that I may miss some opportunites and have fun.

I couldn't be more excited for an archery season this year.

All I can say is just practice practice practice until you find your real comfortable range and then probably shave off a yard or 2 when it's game time for the shooting gremlins.

I can't tell you how much satisfaction I get now seeing 6 out of 6 arrows in the kill of my 3D target from my deck at 20 yards. I stand there and stare at it like it's magic. Sort of like "Huh......how'd I do that?"
Cool stuff and I'm becoming HOPELESS.
(Thanks Arthur I appreciate you shoving me down that slope, or at least waxing the skiis )
Old 07-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

I've debated using a recurve for years, just haven't made the move yet. In fact I don't currently have any trad. equipment around. Good luck to you and Matt, I am sure its gonna be fun. Side note: my 3D club has more traditional shooters this year than ever before.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you grouping them, can you keep em in the Kill at 20?
A Mans got to know his Limiatations, Sound advice from Clint Eastwood!
You know what your standards are, You'll know when you are ready!
Old 07-24-2007, 04:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll keep shooting the longbow, its just a matter of consistency.Whether or not it is this year or the next I will evenutally hunt with it, I just don'tfeel I am ready.
6 of 6 at 20yds.....um, not even close. I could probably dothat at 8, maybe 10. My shooting has fallen apartthe last couple weeks.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have been shooting my recurve almost daily for about a yearnow and I finally feel confidant enough to hit the woods with it this deer season. I have hunted hogs with it a few times. Early on I shot over the back of one and more recently missed wide left. Each time I learned from my mistake. I try to shoot both the recurve and the compound on a daily basis so I can remain proficient at both. I plan to hunt with both this year. For the past week I have been moving into the new house and have shot very little and have not hog hunted in2 WEEKS! That is a long time for me.
Keep shooting and don't get discouraged. It seems like it took forever for me to be able to shoot that recurve with any kind of consistancy, then one day it just all came together. That day could be just around the corner for you.
After missing on the second hog I was ready to put the trad gear up for a bit until Arthur told me to ride the horse what throwed me. Good advice and I'm glad I listened. Now maybe I can just sneak out there for a few hours this weekend and get that hog!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trust your instincts Ryan. You will know when you are ready!

Quick Reply: A bit of perspective on shooting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.