Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Have taken one
88.24%
Have not taken one
5.88%
Want to but never did
1.96%
Dont think i need to
0.98%
Will never take one
2.94%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

whos taken a hunter safety course:: poll

Old 07-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: whos taken a hunter safety course:: poll

I took mine when I was 14, about 16 years ago.

Shane
Old 07-21-2007, 10:24 AM

I took one about7 months ago and would have taken it again even if it wasn't required. I took it at Hawkeye Bowman and all 5 or 6 instructors were avid bowhunters. It helped me because my doesn't hunt and i had no1 to trach me.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've taken 4 hunter safety courses. Archery and Firearms way back 25+ years ago in NY, then again a few years back in RI. I couldn't find my old certificate and more and more states are not allowing out of state licenses as proof, so I took the courses again. It never hurts to take the course.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

MN requires a gun safety course that I took when I was 11. CT requires a gun and a bow safety course.

Ive been bow hunting for 21 yrs and just took the bow safety course in CT last year, as I just moved to CT from MN!!

I learned nothing from the bow course! It was a waste of 8 hours for me, I do, however, think that an unseasoned hunter would benifit from the course! It was all about basics like, not walking with an arrow knocked, making sure you have a good shot, shot placement, first aid, make sure your broadheads are sharp, etc..... Then they make you shoot 5 arrows at 20 yds, and they all have to hit the target!!
Old 07-21-2007, 02:37 PM

Tn reguires one at the age of 10 yrs old to hunt I took it in 1987 when I was 10 and then took it again in 2000 when my little brother turned 10 I will take it again in another 3 yrs when my oldest daughter turns 10 I learned alot the 2nd time around that I had either forgot or never learned the first time and it helped me understand some of the laws that had changed over the years. TWRA or game wardens are the ones who instructs it here in TN and If I remember correctly it is free. The course is 4 nights long and 4 hrs every night.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: who's taken a hunter safety course:: poll

HS is required for all weapons here and a seperate bow course is required for archery hunters.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was required and I don't regret it as I was quite young at the time. I have also taken the international bowhunters course.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Required here in Md. First took it in 1980, and have since taken it 4 more times, with my kids, my wife, and a couple of friends kids. I can honestly say that I learn something new each time.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:36 PM

I habe actually taken them three times.

Once in high school, as a member of the Rod and Gun club, (it was an an elective class, cool huh?) the hunter safety course was part of our grade.

Second was when I was about 26, my wife and I moved to Georgia and I took it again because it was going to be faster to take the course and get my card than it would be to receive a new card .

Third time was back here in Kentucky when my nephew and my son took it. I went ahead and took it again just to go through it with them.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

cool, looks like most got something out of it. I actually enjoyed taking it again with my son. My eight year old is almost ready for it and i look forward to taking it with him. I know its not an all around bow hunting course, but if you have kids i highly recomend it. I had alot of years of hunting already under my belt and had taken one course already, and i still learned some the second time around. one of the big ones for the kids is the what to do if your at your buddies house and he,she, pulls out a gun to play with, what do you do kind of situatio. everyone be safe and have a great season ahead!!

Quick Reply: whos taken a hunter safety course:: poll

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.