Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Have taken one
88.24%
Have not taken one
5.88%
Want to but never did
1.96%
Dont think i need to
0.98%
Will never take one
2.94%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

whos taken a hunter safety course:: poll

Old 07-21-2007, 05:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: who's taken a hunter safety course:: poll

Req'd in NC. I took it as a youngster.....and I re-took it with my son when he was 13. I also took the bowhunter's education course, this past Winter.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: whos taken a hunter safety course:: poll

Yes it is required by law that all Wi hunters take a certifed Hunters Ed Course if you were born after 1973
ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

It's required for all hunters in Wisconsin unless you were born before a certain date. (I can't remember the date)

It did do me some good. It made me realize that I would learn more about the sport from my fathervs an instructer with an obvious agenda.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: who's taken a hunter safety course:: poll

It's required here in IL but only for folks born after '80. All thought not mandatory for myself, Itook the course anyway in the '88.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Because of my age I have never been required to have one in any state I have hunted, however I have taken it with my Kids several times, yes I have a card. Also my dad took me to a Young Hunters Clinic back in the 60's befor it was required, If I remember correctly it was put on by The Detroit News.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:52 AM

Oops, I misread the poll. I thought it said bowhunters safety and I voted no. Yes I have taken a WI hunters safety course and spoken at them.

IMHO, the WI course spends way too much time in the classroom and not enough time handling guns at the range. The times I spoke at the classes, most of the kids were in la la land and never payed attention and got nothing from the course. If they were made to participate, they would learn a lot more.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:54 AM
Bartender

Hunters Safety course and International Bow Hunters Safety course.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't have too Grandfathered in..but when I took my stepson to his, I played along. I enjoyed it I took great joy in finishing the test in record time and to the chagrin of the instructor got 100%.

Stepson scored in the 90's but it took him a good 10-15 min longer and he was still in the first 1/3rd of finishers.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:12 AM

Yes. It'snot requiredin Fla. but since I'm trying to teach my son ethical hunting I figured it might be a good idea. I have also taken the Bow Hunters safty course.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Up until now, I've been an instructor in Maryland for many years, both the bow and regular hunter safety courses. In fact, they just mailed me my new instructors card. LOL Funny since I just moved to NY.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:22 AM

I took it when I was 14 or 15 with my step father. I don't remember if it was required or not, probably because I was under 18. Never really hunted much when I was younger, but he wanted me to be able to get a permit if I wanted. He was an avid coon hunter.

I think I was supposed to take it when I started hunting in MI when I was 30, but my buddy sort of fibbed and said I had hunted here before and they didn't really check to varify it. I will be 40 in a month.

At that young age I am sure I learned more than a few things. I actually enjoyed the class. I think it was over the course of 3 days at a local college in the evenings. No hands on weapon training, just class room type stuff. I did very well on the test if I remember correctly.

I really don't have a problem taking it again, I kind of sort of want to. If my girlfriend or her kids ever want to hunt I will probably take it with them just for the heck of it. Or if a friend wanted to. I don't know how much I would take away from it, but I am sure I would learn something.

I want to take the Concealed Carry class as well, but simply can't afford it.

Paul

Quick Reply: whos taken a hunter safety course:: poll

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.