Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need some serious advice!

Old 07-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default Need some serious advice!

I had heart bypass surgery July 2006 and have lost a lot of my upper body strength since. I was limited to what amount of weight and exercise I could do as I have recovered. My walking stamina is back but nothing else. My compound is set on 58 lbs and my recurve is 55 lbs, I could barely break the compound yesterday. To be honest I was afraid to pull it back even though it has been a year since my surgery, still get sore in my chest if I move wrong or lift something wrong.

I'm going to look into some type of physical training program (if I can afford it). Archery season starts in Sept., so I've got to hustle to get in shape to hunt. In the mean time, can any of you recommend some type exercises or training that will help me.

Thanks,
dog1
Old 07-20-2007, 06:46 PM

Default RE: Need some serious advice!

put your bow on the lowest setting and shoot 3 times a day and then torque it back up slowly thats what i did when i got my bow.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Push ups are the all around upper body strength builder. Thats why they have you do so many of the darn things in boot camp. Start with a few and add 1 a day and you will see the diff.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you start to do your strength building besure an listen to your bodyabout pushing yourself past your limits, might be time to borrow a crossbow for a year.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:01 PM

When I played high school football and busted my knee up, my physical therapistgave me some rubber tubing about as thick as your pinky to do resistance exercises with. I would get some of that, tie both ends together and pretend you're drawing your bow. Add more bands until the resistance is high enough to give you a workout, but not high enough to bust your chest. You'd get the same workout BowHunterJim suggested, but you wouldn't have to monkey with your pins.

Ken
Old 07-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

Have you thought about useing a Draw-loc on your bow for this year, it is a pretty neet idea, plus it will give you time to recoporate back to normal instead of doing something that could possibly put you out for the season. Like you said, " time is running short"!.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks to all of you for suggestions! I will try them all, really don't want to miss another bow season.

dog1
Old 07-21-2007, 03:15 PM
RMA
Fork Horn

I agree with the posts above. If you need to go the crossbow route and can't borrow one. Contact me and we'll work something out. We all NEED you to get out there this season.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:20 PM

Message deleted--double post.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: manuman

Do what your doc recommends, and at the pace he has set. If he clears you, a regimine with light dumb bells, and a flat bench is all you need. Do shoulder presses with a weight that you can do fairly comfortably for 2 sets of 6-8 reps, then bent over latpulls, and then flys with the dumb bells, and as Motown said, pushups. Then incorporate some sit ups, and or crunches in between sets of tricep extensions, and bicep curls. A real good addition is one of those smal trampolines that you can jog onbetween sets as well. Do these sets and the number of reps(2 sets, 6-8 reps for each exercise)repsfor the first couple of weeks.The order in which youdo them is important as well--asI have listed them. It is the push pull method.Getting your body used to the exercise, and starting off slowly is crucial. Use a weight thatyour form is easilymaintained--form and justgetting your body acustomed again to work is more important than how much you are lifting.Then increase to 3 sets after that, and when you can do this comfortably, without feeling overly tired the next day in the afternoon, then increase your weight -after you have increased the reps. Keep on doing this , gradually increasing the weight as you achieve the level of fitess that is you target. The shoulder presses and all of the upper body exercises will help with your bow pulling and shooting. Do this 2 times a week initially, and increase to 3 after you no longer need 2 days to recuperate between. There are leg exercises you can do as well, but this will be enough initially. With the jogging on the trampolinebetween sets, and your doc prescribed walking, your stamina and leg strength should have you ready for the walking in the woods.Pm me and I will be glad to help you, especially in explaining some of these exercises if you aren't familiar with them and the proper form. Once you astart, be consistent--and watch your diet , with lots of water each day. I bet you're sorry you asked after all of this!

Quick Reply: Need some serious advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.