Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Difficult season ahead

Old 07-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Difficult season ahead

"Man, Tiffany is hot."
yeah, she is hot...

oh btw, good luck uh, bowhunting you say?

Old 07-17-2007, 10:41 AM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr
LOL.....I gotta laugh a little......"gonna be hard deciding which one to shoot." LOL.......that's just plain ole funny right there.......

The first one that gives you a good shot, that's which one......See, that wasn't such a difficult decision.
Main reason I said it was because something on that video we watched yesterday at work I thought was hilarious.

Tiffany is sitting on their porch talking and says something to the effect of "Most people think that hunting big mature whitetail on our managed farms is easy, but I'm here to tell you you're dead wrong."

And then they flash to at least a half dozen scenes of bucks scoring well over 140" P&Y.

I just found that funny, and seeing as how I saw several large deer last night myself...

As for not seeing deer over bait during legal shooting light... The guy I mentioned who baits every year, he and his daughter take lagre bucks every year over their bait piles.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:45 AM

Gotcha, Dan. That is pretty funny actually. I would BET that there are more big bucks smacked over bait piles than most would care to admit.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:48 AM

We get pictures of mature bucks during daylight hours over mineral and bait sites, it would stand to reason that we would be seeing these same bucks if we were in a stand over the sites.

I don't know. Chances are I won't bait, but when all you're seeing is yearlings and does because everything else is headed to someones bait pile (year after year) it gets discouraging.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

We get pictures of mature bucks during daylight hours over mineral and bait sites, it would stand to reason that we would be seeing these same bucks if we were in a stand over the sites.
Ahh one would think. Here in MI baiting is the way to hunt. Now that gramps is older I will tend to hunt closer to him. He hunts over bait, I have not seen a mature buck do it yet. I have seen mature doe stand off about 60 yds and scan. She picked old gramps off and turned walk back about 60 yds and bedded down. Gramps gets down a little early, I watch the doe get up and check to see if he is there. She sees no gramps and walks right in
Old 07-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know that has happened to me before!
Old 07-17-2007, 11:25 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

I wouldn't, which is why I haven't baited yet.

The only way I can see to kill these deer without baiting myself, is to intercept them on the way to his bait. At the same time, wouldn't that be nearly the same as hunting over his bait?
Dan

Many things changehow the deer use an area.Why should you have to giveup hunting a buckin an area if someone else started baiting and got them coming to thier pile or feeder?? Why should you have to resort to baiting ??If someone startedbaiting bucks in my hunting area and a buck I was after changed his pattern on account of it... you are darn rightI would still shoot him if I could. I don't bait as it is not my cup of tea. Their bait pile isn't going to wreck my fun or goals though. I just try to adapt to the situation dealt, just as Iwould for any othersituation changing a buck'smovement. I see no shame in that.

Tim