Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Keeping things in perspective.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Keeping things in perspective.

I want to know if these are his guesses, or has he gotten the info from jawbone aged deer from thier dept of wildlife?
rybo......Ask Rob/Pa (shoot him a PM) about the deer, here. He'll enlighten you.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan

I re read your first post and I get your point about mature deer being everywhere. That is pretty much what I was trying to say in the post comparing the two deer, deer can have the same age/maturitybutoften that is theironly similarity. I should read slower.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Egads, Scott....[]

We had ......(gasp)......ONE?.......from the neigboring county? I never realized! (except I did......that ONE deer was all the news down here. What happens when a 141 is killed in OHIO........yawn.....?)

Why, heck.........there just EVERYWHERE! I'll do better, man. If I moved over to the next county.....maybe I'd get a shot at one like that guy did.......and I'd qualifyto be in your club.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I've argued enough in the past about what to shoot/what to pass....

My sincere question arises regarding the age estimation from cougs about the size of his deer. I know TN is southand all, but what he's calling a 2.5 year old buck is not even a NICE 1.5 up here. I want to know if these are his guesses, or has he gotten the info from jawbone aged deer from thier dept of wildlife?

They are honestly just educated guesses. I see enough deer a year to know approximate age around here. You have to remember that summer deer appear MUCH smaller than they are. The buck i killed last year was a solid 2.5yr old no doubt in my mind. I'm sure you've seen pictures. If you'd like I can post up a bunch more pictures for you to look at for comparison.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

LMAO.... I just looked in my MOST recent P&Y Newsletter and you just had a 141 inch buck entered from Stokes County..... 1 measley county North.

That guy must not go to your Bow shop
Anyone know how to search the Pope & Young entries. I am curious how Ohio compares to NC or VA as far as entry numbers for 05-06 & 06-07?
Old 07-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Save it, new.....logic has no place, here.[&:]

It always kills me when people states away know my hunting grounds better than I do. I can only strive to achieve carnac whitetail status.

When you see a 1.5 yr old deer, here.....you know it. When you see what you think is a 2.5.....chances are....you MIGHT be lookin at a 3.5.....and less likely the other way around. I see so many little bucks (antlers)....that I think I'm getting the hang of this (and remember....I probably see MORE deer than most).

But....what do I know? I only live here and hunt them, here. I'll defer to someone who's never been here for the real expertise.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gmmat your county held the state record until last year, it was beat by a buck from Halifax county...... Has to be a 200 class gross buck.

I am not saying there as many big bucks in SE States as there are in the Mid West and Canada only a fool would say that, I am only saying if you really want one...... they are there, go find one.

I do not claim to know anything about your hunting grounds....

What's this about "my club"?

Old 07-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

That would be a good hunting show episode. Take two seasoned hunters from completely different hunting regions and swap them, like trading spouses. I would like to personally volunteer, anyone in Illinois, Canada, Ohio game, for the 08-09 season of course. I have several prime Southeast VA / Northeast NC honey holes ready to have Booners plucked from their most secret hiding spots and in return I'll hunt your honey hole. I will provide all aerial photos/topo maps, and any other info requested (including trail cam pics, and summer scouting pics).

At the end of the season we will compare results.

Just kidding, but that could make for an interesting huntingshow.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:11 PM

I live in Indiana, [for those of you who aren't sharp on your geography, that's between Illinois and Ohio] and the quantity of big bucks, 140 and bigger, are not shot here very often. There are big bucks here but you have to catch them traveling from Ohio to Illinois or vise-versa! I need to move my stand closer to I70.

It seems like those big deer are shot every day of the season in my surrounding states...
Old 07-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Dominant Buck

go find one.
You mean......change locations?

And I can assure you that if my county held any record.....the deer was shot off a fencedarea I know of, here.

I am not saying there as many big bucks in SE States as there are in the Mid West and Canada only a fool would say that, I am only saying if you really want one...... they are there, go find one.
Man....we had ONE in the next county, last year. I'm fired up, now.

Do you know how idiotic it would be to travel a state (i.e. change loations) in search of something SO elusive?

You shoot a190 net typical (which is JUST as elusive/typical in your state) and come back and we'll talk.

Quick Reply: Keeping things in perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.