Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Keeping things in perspective.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Keeping things in perspective.

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

Sweet avatar... Germ.

....you killed my father.. prepare to die!
Duke I have to tell you something, I am not lefthanded

Old 07-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Dominant Buck

There's a 1,013 yr old 7"er, here.....but it probably looks like a 1,010 to a lot of you in the big unicorn states. I'm thinking of quitting my good job......asking Lisa to leave hers....uprooting my son......and doing what it takes to be a uni-slammer-whammer.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow look what i started. Sorry fellas
Old 07-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: _Dan

What would a unicorn with a 9" horn score?

Why kill a fawn unicorn when if its meat you want shoot the does.

Q.U.M.
Let then go so they can grow.............another horn.........
Old 07-17-2007, 07:55 PM

i agree also.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

After reading each post, and boy am I exhausted...I think several people are missing the big picture.

Things I've taken from this thread are this.

1. Mature bucks are everywhere.

That statement is true however, the amount of mature animals clearly differ in each LOCATION making location a very important factor in percentage of chance to take a said mature animal and I too consider a 3.5 as good enough to be mature. If a 5.5 year mature thinker thinks this is wrong and I trust that there are some than it's only a matter of perspective and really like most of what is said in this forum, isn't everything perspective and that's hard to argue about.

2. There is no possible way we can compare Ohio to NC nor would I NOW compare PA to NC but I wouldn't go so far as to compare PA to let's say KS, IL, IA although things are changing, slowly. OHIO is becoming a big buck state, that doesn't happen overnight nor did it. OF COURSE there are big bucks (mature) in NC, not the numbers there are in OH, PA, etc...having been there, GMMAT sure as hell knows what he is doing and knows his animals better than most people on these forums know theres. Without taking a stance either way, I ask those of you thinking location is not the critical rule in taking a "big" "mature" or "P&Y" animal, where are you going to go.....buckeye, would you travel to NC seeking said animal, mobow, where do you want to hunt, NC or OH....If I was booking a hunt to up my chances on a "Mature" animal, I'm heading to OH or another Midwest state. I'm headed to NC this fall, not to hunt mature animals but to assist in what needs done, thinning the doe population so that mature animals will actually increase. Everyone who knows QDM know that too many does will impact your mature animals but more importantly antler size signficantly!

Mobo, I can attest that GMMAT's buck last year was no doubt a 3.5 year old, I can also attest that there is no comparing NC whitetails to PA whitetails. My 2.5 year old could actually dwarf GMMAT's 3.5 year old and after watching 70 some animals pass my stand in NC, I could not pick out a mature doe.....I was trying to compare my mature doe to his, not a fair comparison and what would be considered a 2.5 year old doe in NC looked like my fawns. I was astonished.

Sure he could move, WHY.....he has a job to do, take as many does as possible and I would love to have that opportunity, that's why I'm headed south in Sept....and if a mature buck walks by, I'm sure he'll show it to us but when you watching 100's of deer, a chance at a mature animals dwindles compared to watching my 20 a season in a mature populated herd.

It's all about how a herd is managed and in Jeff's area, because of the protection of the park area, the herd has been mismanaged and now Jeff in his third season has an almost impossible task. In his second season I'd consider him more successful than most of us in our 20 sometin season. I know he's more successful in 2 seasons than I was in my first 10......

There is no arguing that Jeff doesn't have the ability to shoot mature deer but it's a matter of location. He could move but if I lived where he did, I wouldn't move, I'd relish the opportunity to bowhunt like he does. I got one tag last year, I really had to pick and choose and was very happy with my 2.5 year old. I would have been happier with that 4.5 year old I missed however, he was never seen again. That's PA and I'd like to think I know my land and I know how to bowhunt whitetails.

Some herds are better than most. I can attest as well that if I lived in a "richer" whitetail enviroment that my class of animals on my wall would be much higher.

A 200" monster was taken about a mile from my home. I absolutely had no permission to hunt any of the land that whitetail lived or frequented. I had no chance at patterning or killing that whitetail no more than GMMAT did hunting the county over.

I applaud Cougars in his statement. In his young carreer of hunting whitetails, I think he has a great perspective.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Q.U.M.

Its not a fawn, its a yearling with spots.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

After reading each post, and boy am I exhausted...I think several people are missing the big picture.

Things I've taken from this thread are this.

1. Mature bucks are everywhere.

That statement is true however, the amount of mature animals clearly differ in each LOCATION making location a very important factor in percentage of chance to take a said mature animal and I too consider a 3.5 as good enough to be mature. If a 5.5 year mature thinker thinks this is wrong and I trust that there are some than it's only a matter of perspective and really like most of what is said in this forum, isn't everything perspective and that's hard to argue about.

2. There is no possible way we can compare Ohio to NC nor would I NOW compare PA to NC but I wouldn't go so far as to compare PA to let's say KS, IL, IA although things are changing, slowly. OHIO is becoming a big buck state, that doesn't happen overnight nor did it. OF COURSE there are big bucks (mature) in NC, not the numbers there are in OH, PA, etc...having been there, GMMAT sure as hell knows what he is doing and knows his animals better than most people on these forums know theres. Without taking a stance either way, I ask those of you thinking location is not the critical rule in taking a "big" "mature" or "P&Y" animal, where are you going to go.....buckeye, would you travel to NC seeking said animal, mobow, where do you want to hunt, NC or OH....If I was booking a hunt to up my chances on a "Mature" animal, I'm heading to OH or another Midwest state. I'm headed to NC this fall, not to hunt mature animals but to assist in what needs done, thinning the doe population so that mature animals will actually increase. Everyone who knows QDM know that too many does will impact your mature animals but more importantly antler size signficantly!

Mobo, I can attest that GMMAT's buck last year was no doubt a 3.5 year old, I can also attest that there is no comparing NC whitetails to PA whitetails. My 2.5 year old could actually dwarf GMMAT's 3.5 year old and after watching 70 some animals pass my stand in NC, I could not pick out a mature doe.....I was trying to compare my mature doe to his, not a fair comparison and what would be considered a 2.5 year old doe in NC looked like my fawns. I was astonished.

Sure he could move, WHY.....he has a job to do, take as many does as possible and I would love to have that opportunity, that's why I'm headed south in Sept....and if a mature buck walks by, I'm sure he'll show it to us but when you watching 100's of deer, a chance at a mature animals dwindles compared to watching my 20 a season in a mature populated herd.

It's all about how a herd is managed and in Jeff's area, because of the protection of the park area, the herd has been mismanaged and now Jeff in his third season has an almost impossible task. In his second season I'd consider him more successful than most of us in our 20 sometin season. I know he's more successful in 2 seasons than I was in my first 10......

There is no arguing that Jeff doesn't have the ability to shoot mature deer but it's a matter of location. He could move but if I lived where he did, I wouldn't move, I'd relish the opportunity to bowhunt like he does. I got one tag last year, I really had to pick and choose and was very happy with my 2.5 year old. I would have been happier with that 4.5 year old I missed however, he was never seen again. That's PA and I'd like to think I know my land and I know how to bowhunt whitetails.

Some herds are better than most. I can attest as well that if I lived in a "richer" whitetail enviroment that my class of animals on my wall would be much higher.

A 200" monster was taken about a mile from my home. I absolutely had no permission to hunt any of the land that whitetail lived or frequented. I had no chance at patterning or killing that whitetail no more than GMMAT did hunting the county over.

I applaud Cougars in his statement. In his young carreer of hunting whitetails, I think he has a great perspective.

Great posting Rob and thank you.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: _Dan

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Q.U.M.

Its not a fawn, its a yearling with spots.

My Bad.................
Old 07-17-2007, 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Sure he could move, WHY.....he has a job to do,
I applaud a person who can see a problem with the deer herd and come up with a management strategy to bring said herd into check. That takes a lot of patience and dicipline. 5 years from now, if Jeff sticks with it, he will be able to look back with a huge sense of accomlishment.

I'll be hard, but well worth it.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Keeping things in perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.