Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Keeping things in perspective.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Keeping things in perspective.

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

So if you concede there are not as many, would it be safe to say that they may be harder to find?
You guys are wearing me out here.....

Yes, I would agree they would be harder to find... I never said otherwise, doesn't mean one should give up if a big buck is what they want.

Imentioned this earlier what do you think buckeye?

Someone in IL might pass 130" deer up, that same hunter would be foolish to do that in Southeast VA or NC. Not that the bucksdon't getthat big herebut more so it takes them longer to get bigger.

Ifa hunterkills a 120"4 year old buck in VA and another hunter kills 160" 4 year old in IL, does that make the guy in IL a better hunter?
Old 07-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

If I never shoot one it wont be from my lack of trying to find and
kill one
And if GMMAT never shoots one it will be from a lack of trying to find and kill one?
If he is unwilling to broaden his hunting opportunities outside of the playground than yes.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Choosing a location is not like choosing a broadhead. "Oh man thebucks don't get as big herein VAas they do in Ohio, honey pack up the kids we're moving!!"

Not likely.

What I really mean is most of us find ways for hunting to be a big part of our lives butthat doesn't mean it is the only thing in our lives and we work with what we have.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ifa hunterkills a 120"4 year old buck in VA and another hunter kills 160" 4 year old in IL, does that make the guy in IL a better hunter?
No. My first criteria is age class. When we speak of bucks here at home, my buddies and I, we refer to them by age and points not P&Y score.

EX. The 3.5 skinny 9 or the wide2.5 8 pointetc etc....

Choosing a location is not like choosing a broadhead. "Oh man thebucks don't get as big herein VAas they do in Ohio, honey pack up the kids we're moving!!"

Not likely.
Not sure if you can relate words into thoughts or not but I never said to leave his area... I have said LOCALLY numerous times.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

No. My first criteria is age class. When we speak of bucks here at home, my buddies and I, we refer to them by age and points not P&Y score.

Well that is good but a lot of hunters seem to think antler inches= hunting skill, which is often not the case.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Than stop complaining about "location"
I never did complain. What are you talking about?

Well that is good but a lot of hunters seem to think antler inches= hunting skill, which is often not the case.
I made an observation about the above.

And Scott......I have priorities over big deer that I'm just fine with. You've never ONCE heard me complain about the size of the deer here. I made an observation.....which really isn't debateable. It's a fact.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not likely.
Not sure if you can relate words into thoughts or not but I never said to leave his area... I have said LOCALLY numerous times.
Not sure what you mean, your words and thoughts are so complex.

All I am saying is some of us hunt where and how itfits our lives andif you don't know how hard it is to come across good land to hunt (ecspecially in the localcounties known for high buck numbers) youdon't really know what it is all about. Not saying you don't know what it is all about in Ohio, but as far as VA NC I'm sure you don't. I have hunted these two states for the past 20 years and only recently (past few seasons)have I gotten access to some reallyprime locations.But I guess since location doesn't matterI am just making up excuses.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are those "prime locations" local to you or areas that you have hunted?

When he speaks of "location" he is trying to compair FL to IA or NC to IL etc etc.... not one spot behind the house and anotheran hour drive away.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Here's a fair question, Scott.

IfRybo hunted your land......do you think he'd be as "successful" as you.....if you measure "success" by the age/rack size of deer harvested?

Yet....the deer he does harvest (though very nice deer) aren't the size of the ones you take. Why is that?????
Old 07-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Dominant Buck

When he speaks of "location" he is trying to compair FL to IA or NC to IL etc etc.... not one spot behind the house and anotheran hour drive away.
What diference does it make? I say THE difference in public perspective is LOCATION of the hunter. If I hunted your land.....I'd.....ooops....

Some want to make out like this is rocket science. They're freakin deer. Put yourself in the arena......and if they're there.....you'll kill 'em. The "mystique" of this makes me guffaw. It's a deer.

Quick Reply: Keeping things in perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.