Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Homemade everything?

Old 07-16-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Homemade everything?

Ok ppl might call me and my buddies a bunch of Hicks or Rednecks for this but we like to make our pennies stretch by making everything by hand and homemade and what I mean is Treestands and safety harnesses. A lot of folks might frown on us for the harnesses but we've used them for years and I've made plenty more and I've even became the officialdumby and tried them out fisrt and they work . When I get pics I'll put them up but I wanna know what ya'll think and ifya'll do the same . I 've made all types from wood to using scrap metal and welding them . I'll get pics up soon hopefully .
Old 07-16-2007, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Homemade everything?

i dont trust my life to my own 2 hands lol....if i was smart enough im sure i could make harnesses and stands i trust. stands i know i could make...just by the time you put in the material costs and labor you may as well buy one...

just today i rebuilt my bag target. works better than it ever did. all i did was wrap it tightly in silt screening to keep mud from washing onto roads and such...works great.

i enjoy making stuff...if i can and when i can....i get satisfaction from it...i like looking at stuff and saying "ya i made that..."
Old 07-16-2007, 07:07 PM

I make all my own treestands and climbing sticks. It is no problem to weld them together and I can use my own design, take some features of one brand and some other features of another and put them together I have exactly what I want. Oh and by the way dont call your stuff "homemade" it sounds cheap, you need to call it "hand crafted" makes it sound much better than anything you can buy
Old 07-16-2007, 09:00 PM

When I was younger I made my own stands......As I recall, they weighed in around 50 pounds each.....[&:]
Old 07-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried making my own stand out of all natural stuff last weekend, i gave up after 4 tretcherous hours.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've made some dandy stands.. real cadillacs to sit in...problem was, it took a small army to hang them

Old 07-16-2007, 11:38 PM
Typical Buck

I've made some dandy stands.. real cadillacs to sit in ...problem was, it took a small army to hang them
I am the EXACTLY same way.....Very nice stands, but weigh in more than I do.....over 3 bills.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:43 PM
Typical Buck

I've made my own stands. I can't really do it anymore since people like to tear them down and its no longer worth the time, work, or money. Once again, pain in the arse to hang, but I trusted more of themthan I do my climber. The harness thing....well, there's no way I'm strappin on a home made harness regardless of who made it
Old 07-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

My dad and uncle made their own climbers around the time the first company started producing them (EARLY 80s). they were made out of aluminum and very heavy compared to today's climbers. They were the some of the only guyshunting in most of southern Georgia/north Florida region with the new "tree-climbing stands'. They started hunting large clearcuts whileclimbing highand started killing a ton of bucks. We added up years ago that between those two stands they killed something like160 bucks together.

I hunted out of the stand two years ago when I was rotating stands during muzzleloader season. A little heavier than my other APIs, but it gets the job done!
Old 07-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Backwoodsboy28

Ok ppl might call me and my buddies a bunch of Hicks or Rednecks
LOL! Yep, that's what I'm thinking right now!

Quick Reply: Homemade everything?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.