Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Homemade Feeder

Old 07-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Homemade Feeder

I dont have any pictures but i take a 55gal. plastic drum and drill three 2" holes in the side near the bottom of the drum. It works great I can fill it up with I believe 300+ pounds of corn and just walk away from it for a while! I will be making another this year but, the one thing I will change this time isI am going to only drill three 1" holes! It is simple to make and free!
Old 07-16-2007, 03:58 PM

Those are all great ideas and probly all work great . I made several feedersthis year also but only used 5 gallon buckets w/ lids then I would drill a 1" inch hole in thecenter bottom then I would go out a find a sapling a little smaller than the hole then put a screw or nailthrew the sapling good and long enough to hold the sapling in the buck threw the hole . Fill bucket w/ feed and hang up wherethe end of sapling comes to about waist high or to where you think the deer can hit it. The deer will pick up to hit the sapling to get food .It's a copy cat of some you might have seen at stores but cheaper and works I think much better cause most of the feed goes to the deer unlike the free-flow feeders where birds , coons ect.. willget alarge portion of it also so you can fill the 5 gallon bucketseasy but I they lastmuch much longer than others cause its all for the deer. I'vemade several of these this year and I can trust the feed I put into them is going where I want it to go and savesome money on feed . I used to use the free-flows too but I was going through 200lbs of deer feed a week per feeder and I had 3 .Now I made 5 of these bucket feeders anda 100lbs of feedhas stretched me about3 weeks and have been getting tons of deer on my trail cams.If I find a pics of it I will putthem up .
Old 07-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Backwoods-- Thats a good idea im gonna have to give that a try! I am going to use a 15gal drum instead of the 5gal! Thanks
Old 07-17-2007, 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: bigjim12

i have some like that but at the bottom use some angled PVC pipe and me it into a J. also you can take a trash can and cut 4 holes in the bottom corners and skrew it to a peice of plywood and fill it with corn. that works as well. it is pretty redneck but what can you expect im from east texas
yea im the same way mine is a PVC pipe with a hole at the bottom.it work good.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cant see the original pic...its says something about bandwith maximum or something