Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

pay hunts

Old 07-15-2007, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: pay hunts

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

I'm not talking about an outfitter that helps you get on game.I'm talking about the type game ranches that bring in a client to shot a trophy game animal but not "hunt" it.you know like hey client which one do you want to shoot? I want to make this perfectly clear I would not hesitate to book a hunt with outfitter that cold give me the chance to hunt a trophy whitetail in fair chase conditions. I know I will probably never kill a true trophy in my hunting area.
Sorry I missed uderstood, I think what you are reffering to is what I call canned hunting and that is a big NO-WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imust sayI have never had a desire to hunt Canada so I don't care what laws they have or pass. I'm talking the good old U S of A. If you or anyone else wants to hunt out side the US, go for it, hire a guide or whatever you have to do, that's fine with me.
That's the wayI see it too but, a lot of people do, and go after large trophy deer that are wild. They do not always score either but, they still like to go..
Thats why we call it hunting and not just going out andkilling>.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: treboryerf

Hey guys.Wanted to get your opions about the big money hunts some people go on then display their "trophies" for the world to see and then classify themseves as a trophy hunter.Don't get me wrong I'm not saying there is anything wrong with paying an outfitter for the chance at a trophy animal,I'm talking about the hunts where the guides let you know what animal to shot and then charge you by the inches.You know the type hunts where a client can spend 10,000 dollars or more for a deer.Oh yea these are the same guys that look down at us hunters that take a lesser animal too.
I don't know from first hand info but I think your 10k amount might be low in an upper class place. Last year when I was duck hunting, I saw some nice pics of a few bucks. I asked about bow hunting there and was told it was a place where they point and say thats 50k, that one is 75k and the one over there is 90k. I just shook my head and said wow.

It aint hunting to meand neither is paying a hooker for sex. There's no thrill in the hunt but the more you pay the better looking the trophy is and there is a market for it.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

What you're describing is a canned hunt which isn't hunting at all. Its a way for well heeled guys to shoot big animals in a pen. No respect for that at all. Using an outfitter to hunt a new territory or animal that is not available locally is fine . I have used outfitters and will again. Its just not practical to travel thousands of miles and expect to just walk into game within a week long hunt many times.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ill get the beer!
Old 07-16-2007, 05:47 AM

Never a canned hunt, for every reason already stated on here. However, I would pay an outfitter if I was going to say... Colorado to hunt for Elk. I wouldn't have any idea on how to start, and if I only had a week I would want to maximize my chance.

Ken
Old 07-16-2007, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

I totally agree there is a difference between canned hunts and fair chase hunts and thats the issue, not whether you hire someone to help you hunt. Personally I can see hiring an outfitter as long as the hunt is fair chase.
I still say if that trophy animal is harvested non-fair chase it should not go in the record books or atleast identified as a non-fair chase harvest. Maybe the sponsors would not be so quick to promote someone who is not an ethical hunter. Stop the money train and these canned hunts I beleive will be reduced or totally illiminated.
I always here about people who are making $300-500per hour and that there time is more valuable thensay someone who earns $20 per hour. What a bunch of %^&*.Everybodyis time poor today. Its just a matter of priorities and taking the time off.To ethically hunt speaks volumes about your character. These canned hunts and the so calledkillers should be banned from ever hunting anywhere, finned and disclosed to the public.They don't respect nature and are a poisin to our sport.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well...let's clarify this a little. First off...what your describing is not a canned hunt. You said that a hunter is paying x dollars for a specific deer that the owner has scouted out on his land. Every outfitter I know has a pretty good idea of what deer are on his land, where they travel and where to put you to get a good shot at it. Some of them charge x dollars regardless of the deer shot while others charge x dollars depending upon the size of the deer taken. Both are free roaming whitetails that have been scouted. The only difference in your scenario is the pricing structure. NOW...if you would have said a high fence operation that purchases privately bred deer then that is a whole different story. In fact, here is the pricing structure for King Ranch in Texas. Someone may pay $20,000.00 for a whitetail but they didn't hunt it any different than someone who paid 3,000.00 in Illinois. They're still hunting 825,000 acres from a stand on pre-scouted ground. They're just paying more.

White-tailed deer

Hunt #1
(3 days)

up to a 150 Boone & Crockett Gross Score $5,500.00 flat fee

151 - 170 B&C, $5,500 plus $200.00 per point above the 150 B&C gross score

171 - 180 B&C, $5,500 plus $250.00 per point above the 150 B&C gross score

181 - 199 B&C, $15,000

200+ B&C, $20,000