Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wax Question?

Old 07-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wax Question?

Here's another one of my questions, that I know bores you more seasoned bow hunters. What part of your strings do you wax? How close do you come to your cams? I know you have to heat it up, but how much,and how is the best way? Any secrets that could help me out?

Thanks Bryan
Old 07-14-2007, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wax Question?

I wax everything that doesn't go thru my cams. Don't want dirt sticking in the cam grooves. As far as heating it up. Why would you need to heat it? Bowstring wax is very soft already and goes on just fine without heating it. You don't use candle wax. Buy some bowstring wax at an archery shop and work it into the string with your fingers.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:52 AM

use bcy-ml6, or textite w/ silicon, or some other type w/ silicon. put it on gently, let it sit overnight, wipe off any excess gently. each strand of your string is made of a million tiny strands, and too much friction can damage some of the fibers and make them fuzz up.

some guys will use a hair dryer to melt it on. theoretically, when the wax gets hot and melts - it will run away from tension (the inside of the string), so i wouldn't advise doing it that way.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I obviously trust you as an authority on strings Gibblet, but my instructions on my "Seal-Tite"
Bowstring wax ("Silicone Lubricated") say to "Apply liberally to bowstring fibers. Rub briskly.
Wax penetrates fibers as it warms."

Is this wrong or is this b/c it is a different type of wax?
Old 07-15-2007, 05:45 AM

not sure lebeauhunter. i got the info from chris at bcy. the bcy-ml6 isn't as hard as the textite w/out silicon. bcy's wax is soft and easily pliable. i was told the silicon would seep into the fibers all on its own.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rub briskly.
Wax penetrates fibers as it warms."

Is this wrong or is this b/c it is a different type of wax?

SealTite seems to me to be a lot stiffer and closer to the consistency of TexTite than BCY ML16 or White Lightning, so that's probably why they recommend the old school method of rubbing it in.

I like having the wax burnished into my string to keep moisture and dust out from between the fibers, so I still rub the wax down good with a piece of soft leather. It also helps to warm up a new string/cables like that to help them settle into their working lengths quicker, IMO.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:33 AM

i do that to them also before i ship them art. i advise against it because some guys don't know when to stop, and they want to know why and how they ended up w/ a string that looks like yarn. i'll still use leather on my strings, but only once every month or so, and i don't let them get hot - just warm. guys get hooked on it when they see how shiny their strings get - overdo it, and rip the fibers on the outside i think.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

do that to them also before i ship them art. i advise against it because some guys don't know when to stop, and they want to know why and how they ended up w/ a string that looks like yarn.
Over achievers! I'm too lazy to get down on a string THAT long! Call it my onboard self limiter. [8D]
Old 07-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always called that common sense!