Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I've taken/taught 1-2
39.02%
I've taken/taught 3 - 5
34.15%
I've taken/taught 6 -8
7.32%
I've taken/taught 8-10
0%
I've taken/taught 10 - 15
0%
I've taken/taught 15 -20
0%
I've taken/taught 20 or more
19.51%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Question for you all!

Old 07-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Question for you all!

How many people have you taken hunting or taught archery to?

If you haven't taken anyone hunting, why not?
What would be a good incentive to get you to take someone hunting or teach them archery??
Old 07-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Question for you all!

Between .....hanging out at the range......doing a treestand seminar and helping out at the youth archery booth at the outdoor expo...and my son and his friends.....it's well over 20.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:27 PM

I guess I've "taught" 3 people archery, or at least introduced them to it. A good friend of mine and 2 of my children. I hunt w/ my oldest son quite often.

I have a friend who's son enjoys bow hunting, but has no one to take him. I took him a couple times last year and will do so again this year.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well over 20, I find myself helping a respectable handfulof folks every season search for that "elusive" first whitetail or turkey. Now, with kids of my ownjoining the hunting ranks, it's gettingmore exciting than ever for me!
Old 07-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

The reason I ask is hunter retention is dropping, not only in my state but in many. We need to recruit and retain more hunters.
Some of the major issues for not hunting include:
Land access
Complex hunting regulations
Not having the time to go
Not having a "next step" after Hunter Ed course.

In NC and VA if you allow someone to hunt your land and do not charge them for it, you are NOT liable for them.
If you charge/lease it to them, you then become liable. Land owners need to know this.
The major reason land owners do not allow hunters/fishermen on their land is the fear of being liable.
If the land owerns were more educated about their rights, this would open up for land access.

The complexity of the hunting regulations does, at times, seem to be overwhelming. We need people who know the laws and can relate to the average Joe so they can explain it to them without them having to read over 100 pages of legalized terms.

Not having time to go. Well, you make time for what you really want it life.

The next step after the hunter's ed course, that's where my organization comes in and also where NC DNR and VA DNR is trying to step up.
There will be (shortly I hope) events after the hunter's ed course where hunter's ed instructors will be able to take students who do well on their tests, out hunting. It may be on shooting perserves, public dove fields, etc.
When I teach my hunter's ed courses, I also tell them about my organization and inform them that we deal with children only, however the parents/guardians are more than welcome to go with us so they can learn along with their children.

These are basic first steps toward recruitment and retention, but all experienced hunters do have a duty to pass along their hertiage to someone.
Maybe it's not always a child, but the guy who bought his license and went out one year, didn't have any luck and gave up. Or the ladies who feel it's not a womans place. We need to educated them about the women hunters and programs such as Women In The Outdoors.

Our organization, Youth Outdoor Connection, has just partnered up with NC Wildlife Resources Commission - Hunter's Heritage Program.
We are also working on partnering up with VA's DNR for the same reasons.
These are small steps, but with everyone's help, we can add to the numbers of educated, law abiding, ethical hunters.

I am attending a seminar in September where I will receive my IBEP certification and will be able to teach the Bow Hunter's course needed in many states. Beyond that there are many courses to take that come with IHEA certifications, including Trapping, Muzzleloading, Orienteering, and others.
It is a lot of fun and very rewarding. Why not look into becoming a volunteer instructor in your own state?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Guys if you would please give me an answer.

What would be some incentives to get you and others to take some kids out and show them the ropes?

I could be anything from free hunting licenses, extra tags, whatever. What do ya'll think?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I introduced 2 of my neighbors a few years ago. One moved away and I think he lost interest. The other still hunts around our neighborhood a few times a year.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:42 PM

I've tooken a couple but they pretty much knew how to hunt with a bow, only problem is my brother couldn't pull a 70lb bow lmao.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to comment on this;

I have taken several people archery hunting. They each had various amounts of experience. Three of them had shot bows before but had zero hunting experience with archery gear. Also, two had never even shot a bow in their life, except toy bows when they were a kid.

Of these 5 people, I have helped and coached all of them. I helped all of them take their first deer. I was right beside 4 of them. The other I let hunt out of my favorite stand. Some ended up taking several deer in the next few years. I was right there on a few of them also.

Here is the weird part. To this day, all have given up archery hunting or hunting all together.

Why is that? Did it come to easy? I feel there was no appreciation for learning it. I just can't help thinking that they didn't realize the challenge of it all. How it doesn't come that easy when you learn through trial and error.

There are many incentives in place in our state of PA. Youth hunts and Mentored youth hunts. Special seasons and stuff.

I have also taken several others hunting small game and rifle hunting with them being successful.

I think that with all the things designed to get kids and newbies interested, that eventually a majority of them will give it up anyway. It comes to easy. It is made easy for them. It becomes boring whether they are successful or not.

Look at society today. Hunting isn't cool. Kids have soccer, softball, football and other sports crammed down there throats. You have to be involved in those sports to be "cool" today.

Kids think hunting is boring. There isn't enough action.

Thankfully there are a few kids that love hunting and the outdoors. If you have one God bless you! My daughter quit last year and doesn't want to go. She's taken a dozen deer with a rifle and varios small game in 5 years of hunting. Today she is bored with it.

My step son is the same age and also has hunted for 5 years. He has taken at least 16 or 17 deer in those years. Has hunted 2 states. Has taken 5 deer with a bow by the age 15. Guess what! He didn't hardly hunt last year and probably won't this year.

He played high school football last year and liked that more. He starts college this fall and will devote his time to that and chasing girls.

Its going to be tuff keeping kids interested.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:54 PM

I have introduced at least in the 6-8 range , but probably more. I also do a lot of playing the role of ambassador to the nonhunting public, and occasionally encounter a bonified anti.

Quick Reply: Question for you all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.