Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

teaching a new archer...

Old 07-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default teaching a new archer...

i feel like for being self taught(and the help of you guys) that i became a decint shot with my bow in a relatively short time. i learned form and grip and consistancy and follow through etc etc.

last evening my buddy called me to tell me about the 3 buck he saw in one of my hunting spots and i told him i was just on my way out to BS..he said great you can ride to the bowshop with me.

i was stunned because he never showed intrest in bowhunting. his cousin bowhunts and i started last year. his cousin never wanted to listen to me and still wont...guess he thinks i dont know anything because i just started...but he still dont believe i can group broadheads and fieldpoints in the same group without changing sites...

but my buddy is fresh and new. im willing to work with him and teach him what i can. he didnt want to spend a whole lot of money because he dont know how much he will bowhunt, if at all...doesnt even know if he would like it. he gun hunted all his life though..

we got him a used PSE Nova. not sure how old...looked like it was in good shape...price made him happy..had a prong style rest, added some fiber optic 3 pin sights, peep, loop, and had it fitted for him. 57lb 26 or 27" draw. got him a half dozen gold tip 35/55 expedition hunters with blazers on them and got him shooting. i didnt wanna boggle his mind so i kinda let him do what felt natural...he probably shot 30 shots last evening. dont know how much he shot tonight, if at all.

how do i go about teaching him the ropes without seeming pushy/know it all/boggling his mind etc etc...but get him shooting good kinda quickly. i dont want him to get stuck in bad habits and not shoot well and not like it.

i felt like a dad at the shop. he knew nothing except that he was looking for a bow. i teased him and asked if i got to pick out his fletching colors too...lol. i really like it though...feel helpful, useful, smart, etc etc...

anyone able to help me help my buddy...i dont wanna ruin him...and dont wanna let him ruin himself. i want him to out shoot his cousin with me within a couple weeks...that aint too hard though

thanx guys
Old 07-12-2007, 08:12 PM

Default RE: teaching a new archer...

I would say take him under your wing now before he does develop any bad habits. It's easier to start a new habit then to change an old one. Show him the proper stance, anchors, release, etc. I don't think he'll see you as being pushy...just really helpful.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: teaching a new archer...

Ditto on what Ducsauce said. Just have a bunch of fun practicing. Look at the thread for games you two can play while target shooting. Get a big bag of baloons, and start him out by blowing those baloons up really big. It's fun to actually see something blow up when you hit it. In a week or two, you'll only have to blow em up softball size. Be careful also not to shoot for too long a time. His bow muscles are still developing, and you don't want him getting sore early on, which is a fast way to develope bad habits.