Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Numbers Drop Again...

Old 07-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting Numbers Drop Again...

June 28, 2007

According to the 2006 U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service survey of outdoor recreation, the number of anglers has dropped 12 percent since 2001 and the hunter count has fallen off by 4 percent during the same five-year period. Wildlife watching, however, is up 8 percent. Migratory bird hunters dropped a whopping 22 percent while small-game stalkers fell by 12 percent. The number of big-game hunters has remained relatively stable over the last half decade, falling only 2 percent. “Though the final report won’t be available until November of this year, the preliminary findings reveal a downward pattern that worries many sportsmen: over the last 15 years or so, millions fewer people have been hunting and fishing in a country with a rapidly expanding population. There are countless reasons for the trend, chief among them urbanization and changes in America’s rural culture. Video games and cable television vie for the attention of young kids, and their parents can’t find the time or gain access as readily to the nation’s rapidly disappearing hunting fields and fishing holes

Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Numbers Drop Again...

probably cause its such an expensive sport!
Old 07-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

probably cause its such an expensive sport!
It doesn't have to be nearly as expensive as most people make it. It's just that most people refuse to believe they can hunt with stuff that isn't the latest, greatest thing on the market. Another thing most folks don't take into consideration is that our ancestors were hunting a heckuva long time before they ever invented money. So, expense is a red herring excuse.

So is the "can't find the time" line. What a crock that is! Nobody has any more than 24 hours in any day and lots of people find the time. So, when they say they "can't find the time" to do something, what they are REALLY saying is it's not that important to them and they don't want to take the time.

The main reasons our numbers are declining is as the article mentioned... urbanization and lack of access.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The main reasons our numbers are declining is as the article mentioned... urbanization and lack of access.
Absolutely true, Arthur, but those two reasons just make it difficult to find a place to hunt. Thepartthat should have us a little concerned is that the number of wildlife "watchers" is growing while the number of hunters is shrinking, and that's related to the other reason listed in the article.... the change in America's culture.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Absolutely true, Arthur, but those two reasons just make it difficult to find a place to hunt. Thepartthat should have us a little concerned is that the number of wildlife "watchers" is growing while the number of hunters is shrinking, and that's related to the other reason listed in the article.... the change in America's culture.
Absolutely
Old 07-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, LittleChief. I guess I include that under the 'urbanization' umbrella in my mind. City folks, if ya know what I mean.

Maybe we should call it PETA-ization instead? [&:]
Old 07-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Video games and cable television vie for the attention of young kids, and their parents can’t find the time or gain access as readily to the nation’s rapidly disappearing hunting fields and fishing holes
While I'm doing my best to combat this very thing, it will be up to all of us to take the time to take kids out and get them interested and started.
Don't stop with the kids in your family, venture out and get some kids involved whose parents are either ignorant to hunting/fishing or just too busy to take the time to do it.
If you have a spot to hunt, share it with some kids. Retain your own rules and standards but help make hunting and fishing just a bit easier to find a spot.

It is going to be expensive as the lease land is taking over and the "sure c'mon over and hunt it" days are slipping away.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

just my 2 cents but its harder to get kids to go out any more when most of the land you used to hunt is posted, and most of the kids lose interest because there is no game left on the public ground, it will continue to decline, and then all of the anti hunters will get what they want because the hunters wont have near the population to stand behind them, so in a sense everyone that post there ground is really cutting there own throat, im not saying that if you own ground you shouldnt have the right to post it but im just saying thats what will happen....
Old 07-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe we should call it PETA-ization instead? [&:]
You know, I have a fairly good grasp on how those people think. My wife was once a member of Green Peace, and she's still a terrible tree-hugging animal lover. I can't stand to watch my hunting shows with her around. There's always some comment about "oh, that poor deer" or "that's not sporting.... he doesn't have a chance". Funny thing is, you should see her tear into a marinated and grilled venison steak!
Don't judge her too harshly. She did let me completely gear up for bow hunting, and she supports ethical hunting. It's just amusing (sometimes downright irritating) totry to fathomtree hugger logic.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:00 PM

I agree i wont get out half as much as i want to if i go with my uncle. But i thought about braking the law and hunting alone at 14.

Quick Reply: Hunting Numbers Drop Again...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.