Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting & Work

Old 07-12-2007, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting & Work

Ok guys, We'll Im looking to change jobs and hopefully (fingers crossed)will have 3 official offers in a week or so...

My question is this, should I go for a job w/ great vacation for less pay, or go w/ one for more pay but less vacation?!?!

The one w/ good vacation does have opportunity for overtime, but then again I'd have to work overtime....

If you want more/need details I can provide them...

PS - Benefits do play a role, but im assuming 2 of the 3 will have good benefits..
Old 07-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting & Work

I'm in a similar situation. I have a job now with good pay, no vacation yet, and flexible hours which will add to my hunting time. The job sucks the life out of me though. I will be getting an offer shortly with a better company, vacation that doesn't start for 6 months, better pay, but I don't know the flexibility of the schedule.

I'm going to take the job, but I may not have as much time to hunt as I'd hoped this year. Time will tell.

Do you have any flexibility in your schedule or is it strictly a 9-5 type job?
Old 07-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I took more money, much more, over vacation and quality of environment. I feel it was a mistake because I can't enjoy the money I have as much. So unless it is much more I believe the decision is an easy one.

Tom
Old 07-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only you can truely answer that question. One must weigh all aspects of life in this type of situation and see how it plays out. Good luck.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Ed:

Wework in similar fields. Shoot me a PM.

And to answer your question......take the job that affords you the most time with your girlfriend, friends and family.....if its fiscally feasible.

Shoot me a PM....I'll give you my number.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a tough call. It all comes down to what is important to you. To me, money is no good if I don't have the free time to use it and enjoy it.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok you all seem to go along w/ what im thinking... Im leaning towards the one w/ more vacation... I expect an offer early next week, as the inteview went really well, but its still not a positive. Im just worried its going to be significantly less money. Been praying for guidance w/ the situation...

Anyway, I'd start at 3 weeks vacation. They work 9 hr days, and get every other friday off... Plus 10 holidays...

Sounds great huh?!? Thats what I thought, not to mention, I'd get access to hunt the land at the job.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have three offers, don't be afraid to (gently) ask for money/time/benefits.

You gotta sell yourself. There must be some good reasons that three of them want you.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the others, it's hard to beat the extra time off. I was greatfull when I started my new job a couple seasons ago that it started with 3 weeks vacation plus some paid personal time. Best of luck to ya with the new offers.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd always pick time off & happiness over less money, as long as less money was still livable.

3 weeks and 9- 9's is pretty nice. I work 4-9's and half day fridays currently. I'm very shortly going to try and negotiate more vacation as I will be getting a full time offeraround the end of the month. we get 13 days, I will try for 18/year. I've been spoiled by past jobs where I started @ 18 days & quickly went to 22 days/year. But that was low pay AND NO happiness.

Quick Reply: Hunting & Work

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.