Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting & Work

Old 07-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting & Work

Start your own company and structure you work to fit your own personal life style. You will never regret it.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

bawanajim-

If i could I would... But no one would hire a "Herd Management Firm" [8D]

Plus Im a Youngin.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HuntingEd

bawanajim-

Plus Im a Youngin.
My only regret is not doing it sooner,don't sell your self short .
It take guts to do it but any thing thats worth doing usually does.
Look into it and plan how to make it possible,and that might be by taking all the money you can get right now and investing it in yourself to create a great future for your family and yourself.
It will take sacrifices along the way but the returns are forever.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

If it were not for the flex time that I get at my current job I would have been gone long ago. Not that it is a bad place to work but I have been offered more money elsewhere. I am very lucky to be able to hunt as much as I do. I know a lot of guys and the only chance they get is on weekends. I don't know if I could do that. There is a lot of factors that go in to picking a job, you really have to find one that fit you as a person.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am an electrician. I used to do new commercial construction. Then I went to work for a service company, better money and fewer benefits. About a year ago I got the best job of my life. Electrician for a small university. Lots of vacation time and other great benefits. I took a cut in pay to take this job. I knew it would mean more time for my family and more time to hunt. Since I have been here I've gotten two salary increases and now make more than I did at the service company. Best of both worlds. I plan on this being my last job.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

Benifits are very important such as retirement etc. Overtime is where you make the money but get taxed more. Money doesn't motivate me. I look for time off. Life is too darn short to be working all the time.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

I am still in college but am already realizing the importance of taking a job that you enjoy, and i have a feeling you will enjoy your job more with one that has more time off, even if its a bit less pay. Just think if you go to the one with more pay, but are sitting there on fridays, thinking you could be in the woods, would drive me up a wall.

Hope you find guidance my man.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

I am a fire alarm dispatcher In the NYC Fire Dept.I work2-12 hour days and 2-12 hour night,and I amoff 4 and 5 days at a time.Plus 200 hours of vacation ,comp time ect sick days (plenty of time off)I wouldn't trade the time off for any amount of money. Beside my family, life revolves around hunting and preseason scouting.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

For me i would go with the money, growing up i a different country i like to travel to new countries wich cost alot and you only go for a short time, so it would fit my lifestyle.....but after seeing a lot that the world has to offer i am sure in a few years once i have kids the time off will become a lot more important to mee...imo
Old 07-14-2007, 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

ORIGINAL: HuntingEd

bawanajim-

Plus Im a Youngin.

My only regret is not doing it sooner,don't sell your self short .
It take guts to do it but any thing thats worth doing usually does.
Look into it and plan how to make it possible,and that might be by taking all the money you can get right now and investing it in yourself to create a great future for your family and yourself.
It will take sacrifices along the way but the returns are forever.

Bingo Jim. I bought my resort up here in Canada when I was 25.....been doing it for 6 years now and wouldn't trade it for anything. There are a lot of sacrafices associated with doing this, but I get a ton of time off and I'm my own boss. Plus, the resort is my retirement plan....I'll be able to retire by my mid 40's because of the large business I'm building. Think of all the time for hunting then....

Quick Reply: Hunting & Work

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.