Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OK Guys it's DEBATE time....

Old 07-12-2007, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: OK Guys it's DEBATE time....

I agree a lot with Germ but im going to be short.

I think the differences is the size. If you put a corn pile out the deer are going to come directly to that one spot. If you have a 60 acre corn field, the deer might come to it, but who knows where...
Old 07-12-2007, 07:32 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Yeah some people will argue that they plant a plot so they can have a healthier heard.
I had someone get self righteous on me once by telling me that very thing. He was bashing another guy for running a feeder. I pointed out how his food plots are nothing but a feeder. He hit me with the health herd crap, and I said, "why then do you hunt over it. Why not plow it up once the season starts". He said nothing.

By the way, ive hunted food plots, Ive hunted oak trees, Ive hunted food piles, and ive hunted ag fields. Once you find the staging area, neiter is anymore difficult than the other. Size had very little difference.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Dominant Buck

So by these definitions.....

If you place a stand with intentions to kill an animal over the (__________), or on the way to it.....you're hunting over "bait".

Betterhead into the woods Oh holy ones....lol.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although there are some obvious differences between hunting oaks, food plots and bait pile
(I've hunted all of them), it cracks me up when people that have massive food plots get all
sanctimonious about hunting a pile of corn.

I understand people not wanting to do it for various reasons (not seeing mature or nervous deer among
them), but acting like hunting over bait is some lazy hunter sure fire killing method is not accurate and
hypocritical for food plot folks.

Like Germ said, the little bait I've hunted on the deer have been on very high alert and knew
where the stand was. Twice I had the same doe and fawn and the fawn out of curiousity came
all the way to my stand (100 yards gun hunting) to check me out. I didn't shoot either and
enjoyed it. I also had a bow miss over corn, and the miss was partly attributable to the
high alert of the deer and partly attributable to my lack of skill, but I digress.

So here's my two cents. If you want to see mature deer you have a better chance hunting back off
of a food plot or under oaks, if you want to thin out some 1.5 year old does, "bait" will do the trick.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

If Ive said it once Ive said it a thousand times lol. Find a good oak grovethat has agoodacorn mast and youve just got Mother Natures pot of gold for any deer hunter. There, my secrets out! hehe

And I agree with Germinator 100%, deer are much more relaxed feeding in an oak hardwoods area than approaching a corn pile on the edge of a field or in the middle of some hardwwods where they know that pile didnt just drop out that tree or out of Bambi's arss.

Most mature bucks Ive encountered stop coming in to camera's and corn piles during daylight hours right when the bacheleor herd breaks up, usually when they shed the velvet. They also seem to disapear from that pre seasonpattern and get into making their territory, rubs etc ...so even a pile of sugared apples wouldnt bring the smater older bucks in. Velvets off, its game time for them around here.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well ... here's my opinion on this subject , if you have a pile of corn , carrots , sugar beets or apples within thirty yards of your stand or blind then your hunting over bait.
If your inbetween a bedding area and a natural feeding area then your using what nature has avaliable.
When a hunter dicides to use a bait plie , he /she would have to replenish it more often in order for it to be effective.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Here's a good example (not what most people would think).

1) NCWRC wildlife biologist tells me I (and others)need to take 12 or more deer out of the herd I hunt, this season.

2) Baiting is legal in my state

3) I have no problems with the practice

4) I will NOT be hunting over bait....because it's easier to kill them when you don't.

Germ's assessment of deer coming to bait is correct.....but I broaden it to ANY deer. ANY deer coming to bait is more "skittish"....and, to me, harder to kill.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

WHY MUST WE BE SUBJECTED TO THIS KIND OF NOISE?????? This thread is put on here year after year after year and.....ahh what the hell is great entertainment...
Old 07-12-2007, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for sharing your secret Diesel.

For the first time this year I've got access to 8 acres with about 12 mature white oaks.
No bait in the world will beat a mature white oak when you hear the acorns dropping.

Can't wait.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

My uncle hunted the Iron Mountain area in 50's and 60's in the UP

Here is one of his bucks, I have 4 more that are mounted and bigger.

Here is one from the same county 40 years later, any questions

Quick Reply: OK Guys it's DEBATE time....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.