Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what to do??

Old 07-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default what to do??

this year im not shooting as well as last. been shooting pretty hard about 3 weeks. getting better but i found my problem. i dont have a wrist sling or anything on my bow. i shoot with a good grip but i torque it immediatley after the shot. i know i do it. would a wrist sling help?? or is it all mental and i need to stop it myself?? maybe the wrist sling would give me a sense of comfort to stop going it??

can someone post the link to the custom wrist slings i seen posted a couple weeks ago?? i seen it but didnt bookmark it and cant find it...think i may get one just to have...so i dont drop the bow from the tree stand lol...
Old 07-11-2007, 10:22 AM

Default RE: what to do??

Sounds like a head game to me. Then again, archery is often a HUGE head game.

Focus on your form and purchase a sling if you want. See what happens.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:22 AM

the custom ones are nice. i'm just using some d- loop rope going thru the riser just under the grip. works.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

i is all in your head. get a sling just to help put you at ease
Old 07-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try a wrist sling, I put one on my bow shortly after I bought it and it improved my accuracey greatly.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys...anyone remember the post im talking about to the poster making custom ones?? they looked nice...

i remember i had the same problem last year but realized it quick and broke it quick. think i can do it again if i pay attention to it and work on stopping it. the bow doesnt jump or recoil at all...i guess i do it just to grab the bow..i dont know. i can do it real bad at times and get horrible flight..the blazers always stabilize it quick..but arrows dont always go where i want i defiently need to stop that habit quick

gibb...i'll be giving you a call friday or saturday finally...for sure...hope your not still a month backlogged
Old 07-11-2007, 01:56 PM

make sure you are not gripping to hard with your hand... should be a very loose hold. I usually point with my middle fingure down to my pinkey at the target ia m aiming at
Old 07-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

huntm up...my grip is good and loose. last year i had the pros on here teach me proper grip...

i just got done shooting todays round of backyard spot shooting. shot well. i kept it in my head and focused on grip and not death gripping after the shot like i was.

the problem was as soon as the arrow started moving i death gripped the bow. it wasnt that way when i started to release...but is after i released and my bow ends up canted...with some work i should cure it. today felt alot better...and i shot better. i just slammed 5 arrows in my bullseye at 20. 35 wasnt looking bad. not where i was...but not bad. time and practice will pay off again this year. i never really stopped shooting. just didnt shoot religiously till a couple weeks ago...but shot all through the season and off season..just not like i been the last 3 weeks or so.

thanx for the help guys....
Old 07-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's probably mental since you've shot well with out it. Draw your bow open handed, and then just close your index finger to your thumb so as not to drop the bow on the shot. It'll save you a few bucks on the wrist sling.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx rybo. believe it or not thats exzactly how i shoot. it was all mental...i cleared it up pretty good today just by watching for it and keeping my focus. i guess thats part of following through.