Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Colorado unit 25 archery elk hunt help needed

Old 07-10-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Colorado unit 25 archery elk hunt help needed

I have the oppurtunity to bow hunt Elk in unit 25 in Colorado either Sept 2-7 or the 18-23 the elevation would be ~9000 feet on property that borders Whiteriver National forest. This is my first time west so I don't really know anything about what to expectany and all input would be well appreciated. Some of my general questions are below.

Which season do you think would be best?

What weather should I expect at this elevation?

When do the elk start to rut in this elevation and location?

Are Elk even present here on a 1000 acre ranch after either 1 or three groups have hunted it?

What would be the best way to hunt? ie still, stalk, call?

What should I expect in general?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to email me.

Thanks,
Fred Hicks
[email protected]

Old 07-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Colorado unit 25 archery elk hunt help needed

ef, you might be better off posting this on the "big game" forumto get a response. I know alot of elk hunters sit around on there. As for hunting conditions, early in Sept. you can expect night temps around 30-40 F and daytime temps to about 70-80 F. I would think a 1000 acre ranch in unit 25 would hold elk but they may be higher than 9000 ft. This would be considered the early rut so you should here some bugles. I hunted last year near where you are going and did't find alot of fresh sign until I climbed to 10'000 ft. It would depend on the pressure, food and water available. Either way you can expect to have a great time and use this opportunity as a learning experience. I wouldn't be afraid to call, how else are you going to learn? Don't overdue the bugle but use your cow call as much as you like. Cover lots of ground, remember these are herd animals, you may walk miles without much sign then crest a saddle and be in the middle of 30-40 animals. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:26 PM

The rut, on the average, peaks around the 18th of September - according to the Division of Wildlife terrestrial biologist for the Monte Vista district. So the latter dates would potentially be better. Only possible issue is that the muzzleloader hunters are in the woods the week before, and that tends to be the "game on" signal for the elk. They are much more in their summer pattern right up until the opener of muzzleloading season.

Weather in Colorado is always an extremely variable element. In the 19 years we have hunted southwest of Alamosa, we have encountered everything from shirt sleeve weather to drenching downpours to heavy snow. Sometimes all in the same day!!

Old 07-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

I hunted units 25-26 in '05 and my buddy is going back to the same units this season. Personally I would opt for the later date. In the rut, should be cooler and the elk should be lower. Hunting a private ranch should be good. The public ground in those units have plenty of hunters(there is a large outfitter on public land in those units with a base camp and several drop camps).