Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand / Carry on?

Old 07-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Treestand / Carry on?

This is a strange but important one guys,please help!I would prefer to take my Lone Wolf on the plane rather than have to ship it to Alberta this Nov. It's risky, and fairly expensive I would think.[:@]Anyway, you can only have 2 checked bags, 60# max each,and 1 carry-on. My main bag is 60# and my bow/case, maybe 20#.Any ideas on how to include my stand in on this? Could it bepart of mycarry-on possibly? Somehow combine the bowcase and the stand, which would be with in the 60# limit?
Has anyone else delt with this situation before? For me, it's REAL important to hunt frommy ownstand that I'm very familure with.Any experiances or advice/idea's would be great.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Treestand / Carry on?

is there a duffle bag large enough to put both the bow case and the stand in together, therefore making them one peice of luggage. I would assume that would be under 60 pounds too
Old 07-10-2007, 03:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I assume your on a guided hunt? Leave the stand behind and use thiers.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:26 AM

I would say to leave your stand at home and use what they give you. You could also just buy a new stand while there, use it for the hunt and ship it back home when done as well, but that would be a little spendy.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I doubt they'll let you carry a hunk of metal that big on an airplane. If you just HAVE to have it there, I'd go ahead and ship it and maybe include some extra things to make the trip more pleasant.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why not just pay the extra luggage charge for the extra piece, it's usually not that much $$$. Some airlines are also a little laxed in their number of pieces, but that may have changes in recent years.When I was in Texas a couple of years back, Ibought a huge 3d target and they didn't charge me extra on the flight home. It was well oversized, and I already had two pieces checked in.

Anywayyour treestand can't be more then 25 pounds. I'd take it with you, check it in, and pay the extra fee if you have to.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ship it in-advance, along with any of you're other "bulky" gear. Cheaper, and easier than flying!
Old 07-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just duct tape the stand to your case. Then it's one piece of luggage that's under 60 lbs. That's what we did with gun cases. Tape two together and now they're one. If you want to call the airline first that's what I'd do. No shipping, no fees and no leaving it at home.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the help, guys. I think I will pay the extra forthe third piece. The guide I used the last 2 years actually had a few LW stands, so there was no problem.The guide I'm hunting with this year uses those pin type stands[:'(]that fit into as many as 70 differantset (female)locations around his properties. I've used these in the past and found them to be too noisy. This is why I preferhaving my own stand that I KNOW is going to be quiet.
Yes, it's a hassel going through this, but like Don Higgins said, "sometimes you have to make certain sacrifices".
Old 07-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awww come on...your not going to duct tape it? I was hoping to see pictures!!!

Quick Reply: Treestand / Carry on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.