Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand / Carry on?

Old 07-22-2007, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Treestand / Carry on?

ORIGINAL: early in

Thanks for the help, guys. I think I will pay the extra forthe third piece. The guide I used the last 2 years actually had a few LW stands, so there was no problem.The guide I'm hunting with this year uses those pin type stands[:'(]that fit into as many as 70 differantset (female)locations around his properties. I've used these in the past and found them to be too noisy. This is why I preferhaving my own stand that I KNOW is going to be quiet.
Yes, it's a hassel going through this, but like Don Higgins said, "sometimes you have to make certain sacrifices".
Well, here's my sacrifice. About $90 in material (aluminum ain't cheap) and around 15 hours labor, my stand case is complete and ready forAlberta, can't wait. The front is a slide in section and I made a heavy cardboard liner as well. I haven't decided what to use for the handle. How's it look?

Old 07-22-2007, 09:05 AM

kool but you could have saved 85 bucks and baught some camp duck tape.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:21 AM

for a little more you could have bought a new one, opened it when you got there, and duct tape the box closed for the return. any way you look at, duct tape is the answer.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Or ship it maybe $25.

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

I assume your on a guided hunt? Leave the stand behind and use thiers.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: arch

for a little more you could have bought a new one, opened it when you got there, and duct tape the box closed for the return. any way you look at, duct tape is the answer.
A Lone Wolf climber is a $350 standand hasa cast aluminum platform. Would you trust just cardboard and duct tape for your stand?
Old 07-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice case for what you need! if I were you I would put corners on the case, they're cheap, like $2.00 a pop and attached with 3 rivets! If you don't the case will get beat up pretty good and get caught up and the angle will get torn off!

Good luck!
Old 07-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its calles insurance, yes I would!

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: arch

A Lone Wolf climber is a $350 standand hasa cast aluminum platform. Would you trust just cardboard and duct tape for your stand?
Old 07-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bearklr

Just duct tape the stand to your case. Then it's one piece of luggage that's under 60 lbs. That's what we did with gun cases. Tape two together and now they're one. If you want to call the airline first that's what I'd do. No shipping, no fees and no leaving it at home.
I did exactly this last year to hunt in Illinois, only I duct tapedmy tree stand to the bottom of my duffel bag. It worked great, but I did spend extra money for being over weight.

.....Made the mistake of using camo duct tape. It didn't hold nearly as much as the silver tape would have.......Yet I must say,it wasesthetically pleasing to the eye!
Old 07-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would have ups'd or fed ex'd out there and done the same thing to get it back home.Or I would have brought a couple of ratchet straps with me to make the guides stand more stable and quiet.
I do admire your committment though!