Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rookie hunter

Old 07-08-2007, 08:08 PM

Default rookie hunter

i am knew to bow hunting actually this will be my first year to bow hunt so i need some advise on selecting arrows,are the arrows you get at walmart worth a hoot,i don't have a lot of money to invest in this sport so all and any advise is appreciated
Old 07-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: rookie hunter

That just all depends on what your shooting. Wal Mart doesnt carry my arrows. I have to get them from an archery shop or say Gander MTN, Cabelas, or bass pro. So what are you shooting? Do you want carbons, aluminum etc? What is your draw lenght, poundage your shooting?
Old 07-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm fairly new too. I would recommend that you go to a pro-shop, they'll give you much better advice or at least mine does. You don't need that many to get started.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say buy at least a half dozen, but since you are new, I would say you might want to go with a dozen (it's usually a little cheaper in bulk). When I started out I was harder on arrows (lost and broken).

Go with a lower line of carbon (0.006" straightness or better) from brands like Easton, Gold Tip, Carbon Express, PSE, Beman, etc. You may also find some on sale.

At BPS and Cabelas and pro shops you sometimes pay a little more than Wally world or mail order, but the price usually includes cutting arrows to your length, which is very important.

Last (but probably should be first), it would probably help to grab someone who knows something about archery when you go to buy arrows.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:38 PM

i know this sounds crazy but if you go to your pro shop and check things out and talk to them see what they recomend then check ebay and see how the prices are there somsetimes you can get some good deals there
Old 07-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

Support your bow shop.

If you pay 10 bucks a dozen more it is money well spent.

At the pro shop you have a shot at gathering up good advice from
people who should know what they are talking about.

Chance of getting good advice @ Walmart is slim.

Chance of getting good advice on E-bay is Non-existent.

IMHO