Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
94.92%
No
5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Would you crossbow hunt if disabled?

Old 07-06-2007, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you crossbow hunt if disabled?

You can use a shotgun during Bow season.
But not during the entire bow season, right? Only a couple of weeks of that is open gun season. ANY special season set aside for a certain weapon or class of weapons is, by definition, discriminating against other hunters' choice of weapon during that season.

Let's not examine bow manufacturers greasing the palms of politicians too closely either because one could also say that's how crossbows got legalized in Ohio.

Ohio is home to what major crossbow manufacturer? The answer is --- Horton. Talmadge, OH.

I'd bet rifles would be deemed much safer by Ohio fish and wildlife if a major manufacturer was based there.

Again, I'm not busting on you for your point of view, because I use crossbows too. Just pointing out the flaws in your reasoning. There are much stronger points that can be made for crossbows.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Yes without a doubt...
Old 07-06-2007, 04:20 PM

Well, I gotta say that I am surprised.[:-] I figured there would be a diehard compound shooter that would refuse to use a crossbow.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:21 PM

Absolutely.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:21 PM

I would have to agree with Arthur P, I think this whole issue may have less to do with the crossbow's capabilities and more to do with dollar bills. I have an Excalibur, and I don't know about other crossbows, but mine is relatively maintenence-free. I doubt I will ever need the assistance of a pro shop. I have also noticed from the forums that crossbow shooters seem to switch bows with less frequency than do vert bow shooters. If I were selling vert bows for 700 bucks a pop, you can bet that would be something I would notice. I can even imagine some people starting rumors about someone shooting a crossbow 300 yards at an animal. Kind of like the rubber boots only being good for 2 years thing.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of coarse. This year will be my grandpa's first year crossbow hunting. He waited too long to try and bowhunt, with a lifetime of hardwork behind him his shoulder couldn't handle pulling a compound bow. So I helped him apply for a xbow license here in WV and he was approved. So this year I got a new bow hunting buddy and I can't wait...going to be a special first day this year....and since I know this situation firsthand, I would absolutely crossbow hunt if I couldn't bow hunt anymore.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P
But not during the entire bow season, right? Only a couple of weeks of that is open gun season. ANY special season set aside for a certain weapon or class of weapons is, by definition, discriminating against other hunters' choice of weapon during that season.
Again, that is based on deer numbers, four months of gun season would equal no deer. That is done for deer management and heard health, not self motivation or sales! ALL can CB and Compound hunt, and ALL can shot gun hunt, not just the disabled. No discrimination, just limited dates EQUAL, the key word,for all

Let's not examine bow manufacturers greasing the palms of politicians too closely either because one could also say that's how crossbows got legalized in Ohio.

Ohio is home to what major crossbow manufacturer? The answer is --- Horton. Talmadge, OH.
Thats close but do a little research next time. Bernard Horton first started building Crossbows in Scotland 47 years ago. He seen the growing already established CB hunting in the US with OH and AR having full seasons but no good CB to be sold.Hemoved his operation to Ohio from Scotland in 1987. After saying that I will use one more of your quotes...

....Just pointing out the flaws in your reasoning....

People against Hunters = PETA right?

Hunters lobbying there state to keep other hunters out of the woods = ???? Crazy right?

Old 07-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

No, I would rather use the draw-loc if I had to...
Old 07-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes if I were unable to draw a bow I most definitely would.Hunting is my passion the weapon is just the instrument that enables me to do it!
Old 07-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

I think I'd do everything I could to hunt the way I want to hunt, with traditional bows. I have no interest in crossbows or inhunting with one. I've seen and/or had the pleasure to hunt with guys who had torn shoulders, were missing an arm or leg,or even totally blind, who are still hunting (and still killing critters) with traditional bows. (Fred Bear had nothin' on these guys.) If I were more"disabled"or run down than that, I don't know how I'd even hunt. Here are two such gentlemen, one blind and one missing a limb. Fine gentlemen who refuse compromise.

Quick Reply: Would you crossbow hunt if disabled?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.