Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cant keep a steady hand...HELP PLEASE!

Old 07-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default Cant keep a steady hand...HELP PLEASE!

I have been shooting a bit more now getting ready for the upcoming archery season. It seems my first group everytime I shoot is my best, then they get worse. I am having a great bit of difficulty keeping a steady hand so the pin stays on the target. I might be thinking about it too much and not just feeling it, but I ask, does anybody have tips on how to keep as steady of hand as possible?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cant keep a steady hand...HELP PLEASE!

make sure you are concentrating on the actual target instead of the pins themselves. control your breathing plus......
Old 07-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

A good, balanced stance goes a long way to making for a steady shot.

Do not machinegun your arrows into the target. Take at least a minute after you release an arrow before you put another on the string. Give your mind time to analyze the shot, and give your muscles time to recharge, before you try another arrow.

Don't try to force the pin to stay steady right on the target. You'll just build extra tension in your arm and it'll do exactly the opposite what you want. Let the pin float around the spot.

Do NOT stare at the pin. Concentrate instead on the spot you want to hit.

Then just let the shot happen when it wants to go and the pin will miraculously find the center of the spot all by itself. It'll seem like a miracle but it's not.

Don't push it. When your groups start to go bad, then it's time to rest.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

bass,

I'm not the expert here, but I think most people do have some slight movement with their pin on the target (especially at longer distances). It is a lot like shooting a rifle with a scope, as the pin moves through the target zone you gently squeeze off on the release.

Getting a consistent stance and release point, and developing more strength in your left arm might help. When I started I was getting more pin movement, but now I am getting less.

Arthur is right, it does seem like magic when you are shooting longer distances and your floating pin seems to find center consistently at release. It's a cool experience.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:03 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

I'm sure I'm even less of an SME than Lebeau but you don't say if you are new to archery or not. If so are you struggling with the lbs. your trying to pull? I quess once you hit the let-off point it wouldn't matter, the folks herewould know better.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

How much weight are you pulling back? Do you think you may be overbowed a bit? Also is your draw length set correctly?

Shane
Old 07-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sr77

How much weight are you pulling back? Do you think you may be overbowed a bit? Also is your draw length set correctly?

Shane
This was my first thought seeing as how your first group is on target. Also, are you clenching the bow in your hand. If so reax your grip and don't wrap your fingers around the riser. I also agree with taking a break between shots. Take a few deep breaths to oxyginate your blood. My last piece of advice is to keep the bow on target up until the arrow hits. Most people tend to get too lax and drop their bow as soon as they release. It's a sign of getting tired as well as being eager to see where the arrow hit. Then they start messing with stuff on their bows and only make it worse. Of course this in turn makes them drop their bow even faster yet because now they're in a hurry to "fix the problem with their bow".
Old 07-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

The dropping of the bow before it hits the target could be the problem.

I am using a 55lb bow, which I can easily draw back.

Thanks for all the help, I will put it to work tommorow!
Old 07-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

Pick a spot,picture your shot in your mind,draw your bow,relax and let the bow to it's job.Don't forget to breath out and hold this will help steady ur hold.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think one of the very most important things in shooting accurately is keeping your bow on the target until the arrow actuallyhits the target.

Quick Reply: Cant keep a steady hand...HELP PLEASE!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.