Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Teaching/helping without being arrogant?

Old 07-06-2007, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Teaching/helping without being arrogant?

How do you guys deal with people who are dead set and believe things that have pretty much been shown to be false or biologically inaccurate? Or those who’ve learned something a certain way 30 years ago and feel that that is how it always must be?

The more I talk to people the more I find many really aren’t up to speed on the basics of biology and behavior of the deer they pursue. Now I’m no biologist, but I do what I can to learn and be as knowledgeable about deer as I can. When I come across a person who has been taught or learned something false I don’t know how to help without sounding all knowing.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Teaching/helping without being arrogant?

I usually start with a series of question to interpret how open minded they are about receiving information and then either attempt to correct their accuracy or just don't bother. Some people are too set in their ways or mindset to accept truth or don't want to.

It's a tough situation at times, hell we see it here daily.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Or those who’ve learned something a certain way 30 years ago and feel that that is how it always must be?
Let's not forget those who read something of suspect factuality in a magazine, are suddenly true believers and are absolutely certain that what someone learned to the contrary 30 years ago is old fashioned and, therefore, invalid.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I come up against a situation like that I will give them the info that I know and let them decide whether or not to use that info. If they decide not to use it you have to let it go, you can't force them.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some things like religion & politics almost always stir strong feelings among believers on both sides. And both sides have their strong points.

Different areas often have different beliefs ,different regions often come with different circumstances.

My only suggestion to you is not go toa man that has lived and worked his land for years and tell him how you feel he should manage the deer that live on his land.
Buy yourself some land and treat it any way you see fit.Just like the guy who hunts with a Stick bow instead of one ofthe new hyper arrow launching systems he has his reasons.
We all have our own reasons for how, why & with whom we hunt.
Some things are just best left alone. Go hunt the way you want and leave others to do the same,we will all have a better time that way.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:03 AM

As both a wildlife biologist and a hunter, I see alot of both. Like Rob said, some folks are open to learning, others don't care. If they don't care, or are too set in their ways, then there is little I can do to help. Too many people just really don't understand basic biology,and life is too short for me to try and forceunderstanding into them if they aren't ready to recieve it.Once again, as Rob pointed out, you can usually tell pretty quick with just a few simple questions what it what.

Some, as Arthur pointed out, will grasp at any straw they can to try and get a leg up. I have lots and lots of books on whitetail biology from well respected sources, and try to base my practices on sound theory, backed by my own experiences in the field. Even though the biologyof whitetails is basicallythe same, behavior can, and does, vary quite a bit from area to area.

To me, behavior is a very interesting field, and it doesn't really matter if you are talking about deer, or hogs, or people. Try and find the animals (or persons) motivation for why it does what it does, and theneverything ismuch easier to understand. Why do your boys leave clothes in the bathroom floor? Because they want to use the time to go play X-box. Send them to bed 30 minutes early (lose X-box time) and the clothes problem takes care of itself. You have removed the motivation to do what they did. Maybe that is a simplistic answer, but everything is motivated to do what it does for a reason. Find the true reason for the behavior, and then what to do about it becomes much more clear.

I may have gotten off subject here, but that is how I try and figure out the answers to difficult situations.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rob and Critr-Gitr have it right. You have to determine if you can get through or you'll just be wasting your time and creating hard feelings. I have done my share of reading and research beyond magazines, but there are still times when things happen that go against everything I have learned. It's hard for me to believe even when I see it with my own eyes because I have been taught that it should not be happening that way. So, don't discount the fact that these "old-timers" haven't actually seen a thing or two that don't fit in with what we find to be "fact." The only thing certain in life is that it will end.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

It only takes about 3 seconds before you will realize whether your audience is receptive, or if they arejust looking to argue/complain. Usually in person, I'm pretty nice no matter what, but on here - I maximize my entertainment value.

So, I'd say give 'em what they want. If they want to argue, feel free to be an arrogant, pompousjerk anduse the opportunity toenjoy yourself. If they're actually trying to learn something, be helpful and bestow infinite wisdom to their eager ears.

Worst case scenario is that you make them mad,and they get online to try and prove you wrong, at which point they will discover that you were actually correct. [:-] LOL Atthat point, they will resort to calling you a city-dwelling lowlife yuppie treehugger and proceed with their miserable existence,then proceedtalk about how the new generation of silver-spoon cityfolk is destroying hunting as we know it.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really think more people would enjoy hunting & hunting camps if the so called experts didn't feel it necessary to show the rest of ushow wrongwe are withevery theythink we should bedoing .Ever notice that women enjoy shooting with other women so as not to be made fun of.

Go to a 3D shoot with a five year old bow and when you leave you will feel as if some one accused you of child molestation.

If you feel you need to open others eyes to your points of view have dinner meeting our a camp fire cookout and let all invited know what the topics of discussion will be.Those that want to hear what you have to say will be there the rest will not.
Just enjoy your time hunting and hopefully other will do the same.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Go to a 3D shoot with a five year old bow and when you leave you will feel as if some one accused you of child molestation.
I can go you one better. Go to a 3D shoot with a 12 year old backup bow and win. I did some educating and left some jaws dropping on that day.

Quick Reply: Teaching/helping without being arrogant?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.