Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Teaching/helping without being arrogant?

Old 07-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Teaching/helping without being arrogant?

I'm not refering to management stuff. I know better than to start those wars up.

I'm talking basic animal biology and behavior. Andeven plain ol' physics regarding "knock down" power and things of that nature and at times even game laws.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:26 AM

Let me add a little something here just to make sure I am not misunderstood. I believe that no two peoples knowledge base completely overlap each other. Meaning, that Iknow some things they do not know, and they know somethings I do not know. Any person who believes they cannot learn SOMETHING from any other individual (even if it is what not to do), is full of crap. If we are both open minded, we can talk to one another and each come out of the discussion with new knowledge. The person who is not willing to listen to anyone else is merely shortchanging themselves, and I am not in the business of trying to force my knowledge on anyone. If they want to rip themselves off, then so be it. I will listen to them, take what knowledge I need, test it for validity, and be on my way. If their lack of knowledge influences me directly, then I may work attheproblemharder than I would otherwise, or I may just remove myself from that situation where I do not have to deal with them. Conflict is generally counterproductive, so I usually avoid it.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

You engage in conversation in such a way as they come to the conclusion on their own without having to steer them.Then when they tell you,you acknowledge their brilliance and thank them for opening your eyes! There is a little sarcasm there but I mostly mean it.You direct your questions to them in such a way that they can come to the conclusions that you know to be true. Most people have a problem with letting go of preconceived notions,and if it seems like their notions are being challenged they will defend them,whether they are right or wrong.
It takes huge amounts of patience and tolerance some times to do this.I see it professionally all to often.When you have people who have no idea what they are talking about and defending what isn't so.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to use a stun gun or cattle prod and even once in awhile.... pepper spray. If thatdoesn't work,drag them into the street and publicly stone them!

I've found that with some topics, such as trying to restrain the "brown & downers" and ANYTHING that relates to allowing yearling bucks to walk..... the above mentioned tactics may be needed!
Old 07-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Go to a 3D shoot with a five year old bow and when you leave you will feel as if some one accused you of child molestation.
I can go you one better. Go to a 3D shoot with a 12 year old backup bow and win. I did some educating and left some jaws dropping on that day.
AND it was probably the slowest bow there,but those you beat probably still believe that speed makes a HUGE difference on a 3-d course.I have been trying to set that one straight for a whilebut the marketing is just imprinted in peoples heads.

Sometimes just letting it go is best.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:20 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

city-dwelling lowlife yuppie treehugger
you forgot wanna-be surfer in your description!! No doubttypes like that ruined hunting for those of us ( good folks )not being raised on a silver spoon.[8D]

rybo

Just keep the conversation friendly and gently try tosteer them in the right direction. Being blunt and saying wrongusually closes minds which leadsto nothing gained for either. tsoc's reply is right on the money.

Tim
Old 07-07-2007, 06:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

The way I see it is not to try and tell them how to do something but, rather show them. Then explain why you see it the way you do. Some will never change and others may think about it, then decide for themselves. Also keep in mind that somethings were taught from the days the gadgets never excisted and the ones that taught them always had some pretty good success...