Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the craziest thing you've ever heard

Old 07-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's the craziest thing you've ever heard

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

I was also surprised to learn that deer hibernate in caves.
thats a good one
Old 07-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

I also learned (from a guy who has coincidentally never killed a nice buck) thatmature whitetail bucks are attracted to the smell of cigarrettes. [:-]
I wondered where my neighbor moved to

I was told by my grand uncle who hated bowhunters that deer only come by my 1 stand at night.
I killed my first mature deer there, since we have killed 4 total(1 by my dad) Who know how many does. He died in 92 I now look to the sky and giggle everytime I kill a whitetail from that stand. Turn out to by my second best spot.

He also told me his first and second wives are buried back there. For some reason I believe him on this one[:-]
Old 07-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

The plant manager where I work ( who tries to fit in to any conversation regardless if he knows anything about the subject or not ), told a group of us guys who were talking about deer hunting, that if you remove one side ofa buck's antler while it's in velvet, and graph it to it's leg, it would continue to grow there from then on, year after year! He was as serious as a heart attack too! Needless to say, he got a bunch of blank stares!!
Old 07-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver
I also learned (from a guy who has coincidentally never killed a nice buck) thatmature whitetail bucks are attracted to the smell of cigarrettes. [:-]
I've heard that crap so many times. Pisses me off every time.

Tom
Old 07-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually one of the best ones came form my mom when she 1st met my dad. This was probably 30-35 years ago too. She was a town girl and knew nothing of the outdoors, when they 1st met she thought deer ate chipmunks, rabbits and other small animals.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Craziest thing I have heard is that, "Deer don't look up!"
Old 07-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

A guy at work told me that he has a deer in his area that is going to beat out the Hanson buck. He has some pictures of some really nice deer that they have taken over the years. But that is a pretty confident statement.
We will see what he has to say after this season....that would be pretty cool to know the guy that shot the WR
Old 07-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: excalibur43

The plant manager where I work ( who tries to fit in to any conversation regardless if he knows anything about the subject or not ), told a group of us guys who were talking about deer hunting, that if you remove one side ofa buck's antler while it's in velvet, and graph it to it's leg, it would continue to grow there from then on, year after year! He was as serious as a heart attack too! Needless to say, he got a bunch of blank stares!!
Although the statement from thatplant manager makesme picture something that would look and seem rediculous, I have a feeling thatit might be possible. The velvet is blood vessel mainly, right? So when it's time for the velvet to come off normally it's because something triggers restriction of the blood. Is it thevelvet itself or a hormone directed to it?Not sure, but doesn't sound as far off the possibility spectrum as it firstseems.

disclaimer: I am not advocating this practice.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing to do with hunting, buta new kid at the farm once told me a hay wagon can hold 700 bales....i laughed so hard!!!

Actually one of the best ones came form my mom when she 1st met my dad. This was probably 30-35 years ago too. She was a town girl and knew nothing of the outdoors, when they 1st met she thought deer ate chipmunks, rabbits and other small animals.
I read in outdoor life that deer will eat dead fish that wash up on beaches and will also eat baby birds that fall out of the nest (Maybe Jim Zumbo wrote the article).
Old 07-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: excalibur43

Actually this is true.

Read an article on it. The article was not a hunting article but more about research being done to figure out a way to grow bone/antlers to use to replace human bones that are beyond repair.

They said about growing antlers for research and that the pedical can be moved to other areas on a deer's body and still grow.

I don't recall the magazine but I did read about it. Sounds weird but it is true. Your boss must have read the same article.

Quick Reply: What's the craziest thing you've ever heard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.