Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Jim Dougherty???

Old 07-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Jim Dougherty???

I love to read his article in Bowhunting Magazine, but in the last couple he's has mentioned being sick. Do any of you know what is wrong with him?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Jim Dougherty???

I don't know.I hope it is something he can recover from! I really appreciate and enjoy his writing! He seems like a heck of a guy!
Old 07-05-2007, 10:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

He's contracted some form of cancer, and has been too weak to even pull his bow back for a while now. A lot of people are obviously pulling for him.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

I'm Jim's son and can fill you in on his progress. Dad started radiation and chemo in the summer of 2006. The cancer was in his throat so all the treatments screwed up his throat so bad that he couldn't eat. They gave him a feeding tube but he lost a bunch of weight. He only came to deer camp and hunted a couple times last season. He could pull back 40 lbs. sometimes but when it was cold forget it. Pretty sad feeling for someone who's living is madebowhunting. The highlight of dads season was being in camp when my daughter got her first deer with a bow. Dad is getting better every day. He can now pull 50 lbs. and can eat some food. He turkey hunted alot last spring and has some good hunting trips scheduled for this fall. He goes to the gym several times a week and hopes to get back to the 70 lbs. he used to shoot.

Darrall
Old 07-06-2007, 07:12 AM

That's really sad to hear I love his stories and style of writing
Old 07-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Darrall,

Wow... Jim's own son among us here; I had no idea! Tell your dad that we obviously love his writing, and his stories throughout this ordeal have been extremely touching.

It's great to hear that he's progressing, and is rebuilding his strength. I know a lot of my friends -- me included -- flip first to his column when all my mags start coming in.

God bless.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Greg,
I'll let him know. It's good to hear people like to read his stuff.
I know he's ready to get back to hunting so he can write some new stories...LOL
They came out with a Trails End book this year. I haven't read it yet but you might like it.

Darrall
Old 07-06-2007, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Darrall, it's actually the next book I've got planned to order, no kidding... I read with great interest when they announced that.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Darall I'm glad to hear that your dad is getting better. Thanks for coming on here and for being open enough to give us a update.Tell your dad to keep the faith and we'll all be pulling for him.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:39 AM

Our camp is really close to the Dougherty's, so I happen to be driving by one day lastyear & noticed the gate was open. I pulled in to show my buddy and Jim just happened to be there......we ended up talking for 45 minutes about hunting, the area, QDMA, food plots and all kinds of stuff. What a great guy. It was a pleasure to meet someone like him. Even though he had just me, he made me feel like we had been friends for years. We are really pulling for him to get better soon.

-Jay

Quick Reply: Jim Dougherty???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.