Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

We are portrayed waaay wrong

Old 07-05-2007, 06:39 PM

Default RE: We are portrayed waaay wrong

Jedi Master, you are actually very accurate in your statement. The media is on an agenda, always have been, always will be. Notice the types of "civilians" they always interview after tragedy???

Buckeye and I were talking the other evening, and we agreed that what makes this place great is the comeraderie shared here. There have been actual, literal friendships molded here. Everyone pulls together on this site and works as a team, sharing whatever we can.

We get a lot of new faces here, which is a great thing, and then the repeat questions start.......But that's no matter, they get answered anyway. The newbie isn't made to feel foolish or ridiculed. They're treated like they've been here for years and answers are given. There has been a lively debate or two here, but how is that to be avoided with this many people? Especially this many people who are this passionate, and quite frankly....This GOOD, at archery......People here are passionate about this sport, so there's no way round it.......BUT.....when all is said and done, it doesn't matter. Everyone is friends again.

Take my buddy germ here......I'll share this story, if you don't mind...........No answer, so I'll share.... Prior to the get together a couple weeks ago, I actually found germ to be......well..........a pompous jerk...........I've never been more wrong in my life!! Great guy, and I'm glad to call him a friend now.....That's the kind of things that go on in the hunting world of ours, and germ you're right......This image is NOT the image that most people see........

Question is......How do we change that??
Old 07-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is always a great thing when peoples assumptions or perceptions are wrong when they have negative opinions about hunters.It is like with any thing else you do it one individual at a time.I can't count the number of times I have had people say to me you don't seem like the type of person who would hunt.I always smile and say that some of the most decent people I know are hunters.You will never find a person that loves the wilderness and the beauty of nature more than a hunter.
We get it,now it is our responsibility to make others aware of it through our actions and deeds.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Prior to the get together a couple weeks ago, I actually found germ to be......well..........a pompous jerk...........I've never been more wrong in my life!!
Mobo you should write cards for Hallmark

Mobow is a great guy, along with all the guys I met, I just can not believe how wrong they have us portrayed. Mobo I am just going try and educate folks 1 person at a time. Treat them with respect and show them I resect the game I pursue. I will always take the high road, let them look like dirty pigs[8D]
Old 07-05-2007, 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Question is......How do we change that??
We can't, and itsdue mainly tothe passion you mentioned in your post.

While we're passionate about our sport, heritage, tradition, etc, the anti-hunting community is just as passionate about abolishingit. We're passionate about bringing more and more people into the sport, but at the same time the anti-hunting community is likewise just as passionate about converting as many fence riders as they can.

The most we can do is continue to strengthen our side of the fight by bringing in the next generation of archers and welcoming anyone and everyone (regardless of race, gender, or religious affiliations) to the sport we're so passionate about.

We'll never win, but at least we'll be able to say that we never gave up and did everything we could to keep the tradition [and passion] alive.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wonder who started that mug thread? He must be one handsome, and intelligent guy [8D]
Old 07-05-2007, 08:31 PM

We'll never win, but at least we'll be able to say that we never gave up and did everything we could to keep the tradition [and passion] alive.

Dan, I hope you don't truely believe that.........I've got news for you.....We win EVERY SINGLE DAY WE HUNT! We still have hunting seasons, we win. We can still shoot our bows, we win. My son shoots a bow, and has taken deer w/ a rifle.....We win. My daughter is also beginning to shoot a bow......she has gone hunting w/ me several times....We win. I took a friend of mine's son hunting a couple times last year, and he wants to go again this year.....We win.

I hope you don't really think we'll never win. If you really think that, why keep up the fight??
Old 07-05-2007, 08:37 PM

Dan, I hope you don't truely believe that.........I've got news for you.....We win EVERY SINGLE DAY WE HUNT! We still have hunting seasons, we win. We can still shoot our bows, we win. My son shoots a bow, and has taken deer w/ a rifle.....We win. My daughter is also beginning to shoot a bow......she has gone hunting w/ me several times....We win. I took a friend of mine's son hunting a couple times last year, and he wants to go again this year.....We win.

I hope you don't really think we'll never win. If you really think that, why keep up the fight??
I said we'll never win, but I didn't mean we'll eventually lose.

There will always be a fight and I will always continue to fight it, but I hold no illusions that we'll ever actually win. Until there is no opposition to our sport, we will never win.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

I agree everyday we hunt we win.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

There will always be a fight and I will always continue to fight it, but I hold no illusions that we'll ever actually win. Until there is no opposition to our sport, we will never win.
Oh..........
Old 07-05-2007, 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Oh..........
Its a glass half empty/half full situation. Being as I was raised in a house of pessimists, it isn't hard to understand my position.

Quick Reply: We are portrayed waaay wrong

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.