Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sampling of some of the deer, here.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sampling of some of the deer, here.

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Yeah Matt......It amazes people who aren't privy to the deer we see all the time. I have a "little" trouble now with differentiating a VERY healthy 1.5 with an average 2.5.....but it's the exception rather than the norm.

A 3.5 yr old deer (and older), here (and where you live) is quite evident to those of us who see them day in and day out. Anomolies, they are.
A 3.5 and above here are noticably superior. I can look at a field of a bunch of does and even in them it's evident who the "older" does are. The deer seem to take a big jump fromm 2.5 to 3.5 here.

Like last year I killed 2 young deer. One being a button buck (bow) and a 2.5 6pt (muzzleloader). But I saw ALOT of 1.5 and 2.5yr old deer. I saw ATLEAST 6-7 different 2yr old 6pt's last year. All with their own different variations. None bigger than 70". Seeing that many younger deer makes the mature ones stand out quick. The reasoning I decided to shoot the buck I did was simply because the rut was winding down and I wasn't sure how many more opportunities I'd get. Not to mention it was a very short window for a decison. He was covering ground FAST. He covered 100yds in about 30-45 seconds and he wasn't running. I guess my point is though, seeing so many young deer in this area makes it easier for us to point out the mature ones. It's hard for northern hunters to successfully "guess" the deers age because of how different the deer down here compare to the deer up there. Body size AND rack size.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got this pic last night Jeff and thought of you

(dont mind the yellow acorns, they are from a strange breed of oak found in maryland)

Old 07-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Cool shots, Cougs.

And before anyone jumps the gun.....here's a "typical 1.5 yr old at this time of year. I think this was just a couple of days ago.

Jeff, are you sure you dont have that camera in western maryland?? haha that is exactly what we produce a lot of here!
Old 07-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coug that big buck in your post looks like he has a skin disease or something.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

cool pics Jeff. I cant wait to pull mine in about a week. there are bucks everywhere in two small woodlots and i have a cam in one. Some are already big, but getting a pic of the big ones is, well just say my fingers are crossed. keep the pics coming!
Old 07-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Dominant Buck

I had forgotten a 1.5 yr old last year that had a drop tine starting off his left main beam.

It would be neat to see him on trail cam, again. Last year he hung out with a split brow tine 10-pointer.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Your starting to see them Jeff, and I'm sure there are many more there you haven't gotten on film or seen yet.

The doe pic is a good example of the 1.5 year old doe you have walking, and needing thinned. It's time to send some arrows.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

last year again. I belive he was 3-4 in this picture and he's the one I'm after this year. Saw him 2 nights ago.....IMPRESSIVE
When you turn 18 if that isn't motovation enough to move a couple hundred miles W or NW I dont know what is

Good luck this season Coug!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanks buckeye and bullet, all the deer around here have it in the summer months. It has something to do with their coats. It gets SOOOO hot and humid here. I think it's where they are changing coats or trying to lose more hair to keep cool.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

thanks buckeye and bullet, all the deer around here have it in the summer months. It has something to do with their coats. It gets SOOOO hot and humid here. I think it's where they are changing coats or trying to lose more hair to keep cool.
Dude I was talking about moving west or northwest to get into some bigger bucks... Not about your deer's summer coat

Quick Reply: Sampling of some of the deer, here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.