Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your practice routines

Old 07-04-2007, 01:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default Your practice routines

I have been shooting more than I ever have the past year. I lowered my draw weight to 60 lbs. I start with whatI would consider longe range 50 yds, I shoot only three arrows then retrieve 9-12 shots at 50, 9-12 shots at 40, 9-12 shots 30, and last finish off 3 shots at 20.MY accuracy has greatly improved by shooting longer, I never practiced over 30 in the past, I don't believe i'll ever have a use for 50 in the field but 30 yds and under seems like such chip shots. How do some of you guys practice I'm really interested to see how we as a group vary. I also occasionally shoot from my ladder stand in my back yard to practice form at elevation w/ shots ranging from 5 to 40yds
Old 07-04-2007, 08:29 AM

Default RE: Your practice routines

I spend probably 75% of my practice time shooting from 20 and 30 yards. BUT, when I'm shooting close range I aim small. I stick a golf tee in the target and shoot at that. The remaining 25% of my practice varies from 40 - 70 yards. Just kind of whatever I feel like at the time.

Long range shooting is great for several reasons. You can really see your arrow flight, possibly giving a clue as to a possible tuning issue. It also makes the close shots "easy" as it were. On top of all that, it's just plain ole fun! There's something about being able to say "Hey, I just hit a 2" square at 60 yards!" that's lights my fire. It's a blast.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I spend 75% of my time at the longer ranges. I started last night at 50, too. 16 shots to different targets.......then moved to 30 for 4 shots....and 20 for 4 more (and no....I didn't do the math to see if that's 75%).

OK....66.666 percent
Old 07-05-2007, 03:23 AM
Fork Horn

I enjoy shooting out to 50 yrds it real builds myconfidence. As the season gets closer I find that getting off the ground (in a stand) and shooting with my gear on, facemask and jacket at least really helps as well.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

I never practice past 30 yards. If I'm not going to take a 50 yard shot in the field, I don't see the sense in practicing it(JMO).

I have a ladder stand setup at work. First thing I do when I get to work is grab my bow and only one arrow, set up a 3d target (20-30 yards), climb the ladderstand and go through my routine just as if I were hunting. Then I'll get up, grab my bow, draw, and shoot going through all the motions as if a 150" buck was standing there. I do this every single day before work. It really gets you into practicing the real deal mindset. It's different than standing on the ground and shooting a few dozen arrows. You have simulated a hunting situation and you have ONE shot only just like hunting.

I'll also practice shooting a lot of arrows as it gets closer to hunting season to work on form, tuning etc.... But my little one shot drill with a simulated hunting scenario really works for me.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey NY....no wrong answer....but would you take a 34yd shot at a deer?

My self-imposed comfort zone is about 30 yds, myself......but by practicing from 2X that distance.......adding 4 yds to it in an ideal situation would leave me with NO doubts (knowing I'd practiced from that distance).

Just another point of view.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Compound practice-anything from 20-60 with the majority being 40+
Then as the season nears, its 5-30 yds from a tree at only deer targets with broadheads, and wearing gloves, jacket, & facemask.

Longbow practice- everything from unknown distances (usually 8-20 yds) 1st shot out is at a deer target. Then I go to shooting leaves, grass clumps, apples or whatever else is laying in the yard. A few more shots at the deer target to close. Some days I switch it up and shoot varied positions(kneeling, behind trees, awkward footing).

Old 07-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

I have a ladder stand setup at work. First thing I do when I get to work is grab my bow and only one arrow, set up a 3d target (20-30 yards), climb the ladderstand and go through my routine just as if I were hunting. Then I'll get up, grab my bow, draw, and shoot going through all the motions as if a 150" buck was standing there. I do this every single day before work. It really gets you into practicing the real deal mindset. It's different than standing on the ground and shooting a few dozen arrows. You have simulated a hunting situation and you have ONE shot only just like hunting.
I do the same thing in the mornings. That way, if I do something inncorrect, or make a semi poor shot...I have ALL DAY to sit and dwell on what I did wrong, and what I need to do to fix it next time. Really lets it sink in.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do 90% or more of my shooting from 50 yards to 60 yards.My hunting range limitation would be 35 yards,preferably less.
The advantage to shooting at longer distances is it will show form flaws much more readily.If you are shooting well at 50 and 60 yards or further,anything from 30 yards and in is going to be a chip shot and the precise point you are aiming at will appear much larger because of the aiming focus necessary at the longer distances.
Bottom line if you are good at 50 yards,you will be awesome at the typically shorter hunting shots.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey NY....no wrong answer....but would you take a 34yd shot at a deer?

My self-imposed comfort zone is about 30 yds, myself......but by practicing from 2X that distance.......adding 4 yds to it in an ideal situation would leave me with NO doubts (knowing I'd practiced from that distance).

Just another point of view.
To answer your question, no I won't take a shot at 34 yards. I am pretty strict with myself of not shooting a yard over 30. Just knowing that my margin for error increases with any yardage over 30 yards makes me set that as an absolute maximum yardage.

However I can fully understand what you're saying andagree with the philosophy behind it. A perfect situation dead broadside at 34 yards I'm "pretty sure" I could make a good shot more times than not. Problem I have is I may be 90% sure than 100%. If you are 100% sure you'll make the shot 10 out of 10 times than it's a no brainer. I can't say that so I draw the line at 30. Just a personal preference thing I suppose. Something I've always stuck with. I've had a LOT of nice bucks cruising by me at 35-40 yards. I just blame myself for not setting up to get a 20 yard chip shot [8D].

Quick Reply: Your practice routines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.