Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your practice routines

Old 07-05-2007, 12:49 PM

Default RE: Your practice routines

Same here. I can shoot 70 yards at my range, and do so quite a bit. I also like to start and end each shooting session with a couple of long range shots- and do what little close range shooting I do somewhere in the middle. Also, I like to shoot only four or five arrows in each segment and then go pull them from the target.Seem to get better concentration than trying to shoot a whole quiver full in an extendedstring.Once I start feeling a little fatigue or target panic, time to take a long break.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do about 80% of my shooting beyond 40 yds. Up to 70 yds. I have gotten to the point where I can consistently group 40 yd. shots in about a 4-5 in circle. Kill zone every time. At 70 I can keep them in a 7-8 in circle. I do step up and practice from at 20-30 sometimes, but I have to shoot 1 arrow groups as I smack the shafts to much at that range.I have shot and practiced "form" more this year than ever before, and it is paying off big time. I am more confident than I have ever been with a bow. Hopefully it will pay off come the moment of truth this fall.

Shane
Old 07-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

i practice pretty regularly out to 40yds. i actually do most of my shooting at 35yds. my max in my backyard is 40. just today i shot 15 arrows from 35 and 6 at 25 and a couple at 15 and 20. but i will go back out in a bit and do more shooting at 35. my shooting at 15-25 is solid...now its to shrink the groups at 35+ so thats where i'll focus...and thats what i did last year...but i always shoot a couple at 30 and less just to do it.

as the season draws near i shoot from my stand once a week or so...and i'll have the broadheads tunes and shooting with fieldpoints and for a good month+ i will shoot nothing but broadheads...and will quit shooting from my marked yardages...i will shoot angles, move the target, move my position, sitting, kneeling etc etc...i will wake up like NY does and fire one arrow and walk away...sit at work all day and think how i smoked that 12pt P&Y buck...or missed him...etc etc...(added just now...new for this year but i know myself....i can really eat myself up and learn from doing that)

aside from my backyard stuff i just this week got into 3d shooting and techno hunts...both of which will help...but dont make up for poor and the lack of practice...still gotta shoot....when that buck steps out you dont think to check your sight level or shoot with a loose grip or bend at the waist or what pin to use....thats where perfect practice comes into play...let your body take over...your mind is stupid and will screw you up...let your body do what it did all season..block out your mind and make the shot...think about it and its gunna overload, confusion, rushed shot etc etc..