Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bowhunting accuracy test?

Old 07-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: bowhunting accuracy test?

Have I seen a "quartering away" target? Yes.

Have I seen one with specific rings for scoring that type shot? No.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:38 AM

I DO know what you're saying...And you're right, as far as a killing shot the "5" was a better shot.....But if we're talking about score, which is what 3D is all about, the "5" is a bad shot....And if we're talking minimum scores and such, the 5 could leave a guy out of the hunt for the year, even though in a hunting situation it is perfect shot. Does that mean the guy that shot a 12 shouldn't get to go either, even though on a live animal it wasn't a good shot??

Just too many variables to make it an accurate test....And even if it could be done in an accurate and fair venue......It's still not a hunting situation. I know for a quartering away shot I need to hit farther back than broadside......Even after educating someone that maybe didn't know that, they still have to hit that spot....Sometimes they're just gonna miss.....it's a fact of life.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Have I seen a "quartering away" target? Yes.

Have I seen one with specific rings for scoring that type shot? No.

They do make themand they are very common targets on 3D ranges.

There were even a couple on the HNI 3D Smackdown course.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Just too many variables to make it an accurate test....And even if it could be done in an accurate and fair venue......It's still not a hunting situation.
Common ground.

If you're judging a man based on his score (in the above scenario).....it's a disservice to the process.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Dominant Buck

They do make themand they are very common targets on 3D ranges.

There were even a couple on the HNI 3D Smackdown course.
Learn something every day.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

National Bowhunter Education Foundation Vital Zone Deer
McKenzie Targets and the National Bowhunter Education Foundation (NBEF) have teamed up to produce a new line of life-size animals with exposed anatomy for instructing proper shot placement.
McKenzie sculptor John Witalison, working under the direction and guidance of NBEF executive director Tim Pool and Dr. Wayne Trimm, have created the most realistic and anatomically accurate instructional models ever offered.
Available now are the Whitetail Deer, Black Bear, and coming soon will be a Turkey. The new NBEF-135 Whitetail is scaled to represent a 135-140 lb. animal with one side having expertly sculpted and painted exposed vital and non-vital areas of the deer's chest cavity.
The NBEF deer and other models will be available through the NBEF and McKenzie. The NBEF will offer discounts to instructors and state agencies and there will be a discount from McKenzie for dealers.
Please contact the NBEF at 479 649-9036 or visit their website
Size: Shoulder Height 33.5", Body Length 44"

Old 07-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

I think an accuracy test is a good thing. Last year I went on a deer management hunt. Part of qualifying was that you had to shoot 4 out of 5 arrows in an 8” circle @ 20 yards, and you have 2 tries at it (shot with hunting bow & arrows with broad heads). I think this was more than fair, for you and the deer.

The only thing that I don’t like about having accuracy test is if it became mandatory and it was government run we all could have problems. Lets say some tree and bunny huggers made the test so hard that only a few could pass. How many guys could shoot broad heads 40 or 50 yards and put 4 arrows in 8” group? Or a 3” group at 20 yards? Or what if there was only 1 date each year that you could take the shooting test, during the day and 250 miles from your home. Now I’m not saying that this would happen, but it could.
If we were to have testing we would have to find a way to keep it fair and not have someone use it for there own no hunting campaign.
So, even thou Im for accuracy test im not willing to run out and make it happen. We have to weigh the cause and effect that it can have.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'd be more in favor of a required bowhunters' education course. During the course...... the importance of proficiency could be drilled into the students heads.

That's about as far as I'd go.

Stick a man on the ground and tell him to hit a plate @ 20 yds??? OK...I don't think that's going to weed out many people. Put him in a classroom of his peers.....and explain to him why we don't take quartering-to shots at any distance (etc..., etc..., etc...).....and you'll have educated him.

I'd rather educate him and take my chances he'll learn the importance of becoming "proficient".
You would be suprised!!! I was last year. I could not belive how many people showed up and cant shoot. WOW!!! It's realy sad.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

Just an idea.... As I said I have no dog in this fight and am just throwing some ideas out.

What do you think about having each bowhunterparticipate inone 3D shoot per year.... having to average an 8 (largest vital ring) to secure their proficiency license? Perhaps allow them to shoot as many shoots as needed to pass the test?

Heck instead of every year maybe the proficiency license could be good for 2 or 3 years......

[/align]
Bad Idea. Some people should not be shooting as far assome 3-d targets are put out(40-50yds). Also who is going to score it? You would have guys losing all there arrows and still mark 8s.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

Swamp

Lot's of good points in you post, thanks for the reply.

I'll bounce this off you too....an average of 8 makes a 30 target score of 240. the tournament I shot last week had 80+ shooters in bowhunter class...and only 30 or so of those shooters had over 240. Weather was as perfect as can be...hardly any wind. No bugs to speak of.
I can't believe that.... That is a very poor showing, however I am glad to see them out shooting.

I have shot many'a 3D shoots on the local, state and national level, I understand how weather, insects and other people can affect ones performance. I justdon't think averaging an 8 under almost any condition would be to much to ask for.On many targets an 8 covers 2-4 square feet or more.
Yeah it kind of is. But there again, we had a heck of a lot of first time shooters come out. Lots and lots of 18-30 y.os and most shooting with their girlfriends/spouses, which is EXACTLY WHAT WE SHOULD ALL WANT TO SEE!!!!!

The worst I have ever done in bowhunter class with my hunting rig was a 259. But, I shoot a lot...and I practice a lot...and I can handle shooting in front of people I don't know or haven't shot with before. Thats somethign that takes a lot of practice, and some folks just never can do it.

Here is what I would like to see:

I'd like to see archery clubs, ranges, and especially state agencies take a pro-active role in "shooter" education. I think it would be great if game departments posted a recommended practice regimen...even just a suggestion...on what hunters should strive for. Some folks would take it seriously...others would scoff... just like seatbelt laws. But it would be pro-active. You can't expect everyone to hit homeruns on the company softball team...and if you strike out a couple of times....you shouldn't not be allowed to play. So I wouldn't want to see a state or anyone any where for that matter, make it so that if you drop a turkey target (where the 10 ring is the size of the 11 on most targets, and the 8 is about the size of the 10) then you can't bow hunt.... thats just haneous.

I have had to pass some very stringent shooting quals in order to cull deer... including shooting in the dark... stuff that almost makes you laugh.... but.... this is sort of extra curricular hunting. If you want to go to Harvard... you gotta take honors classes sort of thing.

Quick Reply: bowhunting accuracy test?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.