Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you think bowhunting certification courses are going to become mandatory nationwide?

Old 07-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Do you think bowhunting certification courses are going to become mandatory nationwide?

OK, so I'm laying on the operating table this afternoon, and struck up a conversation with the assistant helping doing the prep work on me... Turns out he's a big-time bowhunter as well, and we get on the discussion of bowhunting out West. I told him I'm heading out to Colorado in August to chase elk, and he tells me that a lot of states are making the attendance of a bowhunter certification course mandatory before receiving a non-resident archery tag... I haven't heard that for Colorado, but that got me thinking: Do you think that it's coming for every state? I haven't attended one myself, and have never even seen one offered in our area.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you think bowhunting certification courses are going to become mandatory nationwide?

I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen everywhere. By the way you might want to check if you need it in Colo. I think I remember reading somewhere you might. But don't quote me on it.

OK I gotta ask. Why were you on the operating table?
Old 07-03-2007, 06:40 PM

Default RE: Do you think bowhunting certification courses are going to become mandatory nationwide?

It's always that one bad hunter that gives us good hunters a bad name. This might be a chance to weed that one bad hunter out. If mandatory bowhunting class came to Wisconsin, I'd be game.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

OK I gotta ask. Why were you on the operating table?
Let's just say my laptop is literally resting atop some blankets and a bag of frozen peas...
Old 07-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Banned

Usually the term is hunter safety, not bowhunter safety, from what I have known and experienced.Hunter safetyis required in IA for anybody born after 1967 to do any type of hunting. We took ours a couple of years ago because CO required them for hunting and I had never taken one as I was older thanIA's requirement, and Sarah is just a baby and had never taken one so she had to to be able to hunt in IA. We took a hunter safety course, not a bowhunter safety. ON, Canada just requires a current or old hunting license if you choose not to provide them a hunter safety certifiate. Some cities in IA require a bowhunter safety class in order to do urban hunts.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, this is specifically "bowhunter" safety I'm talkingabout here... I'm familiar with the general hunter safety courses; Missouri has held those for years and years too. I've heard of the bowhunter courses being offered in Missouri, too... just none in my immediate area yet.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Banned

Ourhunter safety course in IA, taken two years ago, qualified us to bowhunt elk in CO. It was not a bowhunter safety certificate course.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:08 PM

If i remember correctly you do have to take bowhunter safety to bowhunt in colorado but I could be wrong. I know a guy that went elk hunting up there and I am sure that is what he said.

on another note, I think it would be a good idea. I think you have to take a proficiency test as well. That would cut down on alot of the slob hunters

rick

Old 07-03-2007, 07:10 PM
Banned

We hunted elk in CO in 2005. Didn't need it then.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.bowhunter-ed.com/tx/index.htm

Quick Reply: Do you think bowhunting certification courses are going to become mandatory nationwide?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.