Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you think bowhunting certification courses are going to become mandatory nationwide?

Old 07-04-2007, 06:03 PM

Default RE: Do you think bowhunting certification courses are going to become mandatory nationwide?

Yea the is a "Grandfather" thing here in SD. It basically says if you have every held an archery tag, you are eligible. It is the first timers and elk applicants that are manditory. This is what the Book says.

Bowhunter Education
Before a license will be issued, all archery big game licensees 12 through
15 years of age, all first time archery big game licensees regardless of age,
and all archery elk licensees must possess a National Bowhunter Education
Foundation certificate or certificate of completion from a bowhunter
education course approved by any state or provincial government.
Residents who have not completed an approved bowhunter education
course can still apply. If drawn, their license will be held until the
License Office is notified of the certificate number once a course has
been successfully completed.
Regardless of when the course is completed, payment for licenses
drawn must be made by the payment deadline.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:04 PM

Default RE: Do you think bowhunting certification courses are going to become mandatory nationwide?

Unfortunately I believe it is. If you ask me I think hunters safety classes are a complete joke. Way to easy to and everyone passes.

I was shot in 2000 while bowhunting by a kid with a 30-06. After that I spoke at a lot of hunter's safety classes and was amazed at what I saw. Granted, most kids today aren't the same as when I was a kid, but this was rediculous. Nobody payed attention or had a clue, but everyone passed. It wasa joke.

IMHO, I believe hunters safety classes are a joke. There needs to be more emphasis on actual hands on shooting and safety. Rather than the useless info they actually teach.

ps Maybe this is a tangent and not warrented in a lot of states, but these are my observations from Wisconsin.

-Dan
Old 07-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Up here in Maine it is mandatory if you have had no previousadultarchery license and it is separate from rifle hunting, which has its own.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes
Old 07-05-2007, 08:59 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I think they will and they should be IMO. Nebraska requires one, they have the grandfather clause as well though, if you have had an archery tag in another state is is not required. WY, and MT both require them for out of state hunters, no clauses.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

in CA. i don't think we will ever see the Archery safety cert required for out of state hunters. the number of out of state hunters are not too many and the number of archers is very small compared to rifle hunters.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bowhunter ed is required on all Corps of Engineers and wildlife refuge lands in Texas. Don't know about other states. I'm all in favor of it tough. It's a shame, but I think it's desperately needed. A whole lot of 'bowhunters' I've met over the years have been in dire need of some education.