Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you think bowhunting certification courses are going to become mandatory nationwide?

Old 07-04-2007, 05:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Do you think bowhunting certification courses are going to become mandatory nationwide?

Greg:

I took it this past Winter here in NC. It IS a "Bowhunter's Education" course.....separate from the std. Hunter's Ed. course (which I took with my son, last year).

I thought I might need it to go on out of state hunts. It was informative....and not too time consuming. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do you think bowhunting certification courses are going to become mandatory nationwide?

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

OK I gotta ask. Why were you on the operating table?
Let's just say my laptop is literally resting atop some blankets and a bag of frozen peas...
Say no more...
Old 07-04-2007, 06:50 AM

I'm taking it this weekend at my buddy's pro shop so that I can go on urban hunts in Des Moines this year. I think someday it will be mandatory to take this course to bow hunt other states and even your home state. I know that most of us have already taken the hunters safety course, but I feel that the bow hunters safety course is a good thing, also. Safety should be the single most important thing on any hunters mind, and the class is one more thing to show your dedication to this sport that we all love.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

PA has a separate bowhunter's course as well:

http://www.hte.state.pa.us/eventCalendarShow.aspx?class_id=160

I have not taken this yet, but will in August. I think it should be mandatory and required for anyone, not just minors. It can't hurt and could help in many cases.

BTW, hope the boys are feeling better.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Greg, I'm not sure if it will become mandatory, but it should be!
Old 07-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greg....I took the Hunters Safety Course 2 years back so I could take my Daughter on the Mo. Youth Hunt.Since I was older and didn't have to take the course Inever messed with it but I had to take the test so I could take my Daughters hunting.When we took the test the Instructor mentioned they were having a Bow Hunting Class in a few months because several States were requiringHunters to have the certification and he said it wouldn't be much longer and other States would start requiring it also.If you go to our Missouri Dept of Conservation web site you can find when and where you can take the Bow Hunting Class.Since Cape is bigger they will have more chances for you to take the classes,but be sure to check as soon as possible because some class may be limited to a certain amount of students or even require pre-registering?I enjoyed the Bow Hunting class as much or more than the other class because of my interest in Bow Hunting and they discussed other topicsabout hunting with a bow,shot placement and ethical hunting.

I don't live very far from you and when I went to Cape for my Doctors appoinment last Dec. I mentioned something about Hunting and my family Doctor and me spent more time talking about Deers than my ailment! LOL )

Hope you get better and be sure to take care of your peas so they don't thaw out.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

NY requires it now. Luckily I fell into some sort of grandfather clause where I had my VT and PA bowhunting licenses before these restrictions came into place. There are states now though that don't have a grandfather clause. I may take one in the next year or two just to have it done, because once I finally buy a house I plan to finally start booking some cool hunts and traveling. Don't want it to be a problem........and it can't hurt to have done I guess. Our local sportsmans club runs 2x of them every year.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

i actually HOPE they do.

PA's is optional...i just cant find one to get into just to take. i hear they are a real good expirience...new or veteran hunter...

why would i WANT them to make it mandatory??

just seems everyone i meet says they are a bowhunter around here...but they actually mean to say that they stand in a treestand with a bow during the fall...occassionally putting an arrow in a deer...sometimes they find it..sometimes they dont. you know...the guys that shoot MAYBE once a week from MAYBE july till the season...the guys that think broadheads DO fly with fieldpoints ALL the time no matter what...or adjusting your sights 4 foot to compensate for poor flight is normal...or the guys that think they hit a deer so charge after it immediatly after they hit it...etc etc etc i can go on for days.

they call themselves bowhunters...but if they are bowhunters than im an expert pro bowhunter...

i just cant help but to think how many deer are wounded and lost because of those types of guys...

dont get me wrong...most of us all has an arrow or 2 they wish they could take back...stuff happens...but im talking the guys that wound 4 or 5 bucks a year etc etc...

i just think that the course would help keep everyone somewhat upto par...i know they cant/dont cover EVERYTHING...but they do more than these guys get without the course
Old 07-04-2007, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Greg, I'm not sure if it will become mandatory, but it should be!
Amen! It's manadatory here for any archery only hunts but not to hunt with a bow during the regular season [&:], since there is no hunter safety requirement for general "hunting" here. Even with the course it amazes me how many boneheads go out and treat their bow like they were hunting with a rifle. (Never practice, shoot too far, make poor judgement on shot placement...) You just can't teach ethics and there's always going to be those who have to learn from experience rather than the mistakes of others.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:14 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Would you think that the states would grand father bow hunters that have had a license in there state or make it manditory for all that haven't had oneor anyone new getting in to bow hunting would have totake to class. I think to be fair you would have to grandfather from a certian year and there after would need it.

Quick Reply: Do you think bowhunting certification courses are going to become mandatory nationwide?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.