Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow season in California

Old 07-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Bow season in California

I just found out that bow season for deer in California starts July 14 th.
Must be the earliest season ever?

Spudrow
Old 07-04-2007, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow season in California

It would be awesome to be able to get a super early start on stalkin' Columbian Blacktails! I believe Alaska also has a very early bow season for Sitka Blacktail as well. Either way, our Illinois whitetail season won't happen until Oct. 1 !!! [&o]

I dream of one day hunting a buck still in velvet!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

You know with Missouri wanting to control the deer population, I think an early season would work for me. It doesn't have to be for just a few days. I'm sure keeping them cool would really be a problem?

Spudrow
Old 07-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since Missouri moved the Bow Season up to Sept 15 it has been really nice to get an early start on Hunting....only bad part is it can be pretty warm that early in the year and with the ticks and mosquito's still hanging around I have been using my ThermaCell more and more!Then we get to hunt til Jan 15 we get 4 months to get a Deer! YeeHawwwww

I don't know if I would want to be hunting too early in the year with the snakes crawling around [:-]There's just something nice about hunting when its cold out and your freezing to death that makes it so much fun! LOL
Old 07-05-2007, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

I agree. My favorite time to hunt is when it's colder than a well diggers ear and snowing or snow on the ground.The last few years have been too warm for me.

Spudrow
Old 07-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

HOLY COW!! I'm packing my bags!!!
Old 07-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

There's just something nice about hunting when its cold out and your freezing to death that makes it so much fun! LOL
The 'fun" part is getting back in that warrrmmmm truck!!!! One day, last season, I was with my hunting buddy, Bill. I was shaking for a good hour and a half. I wasn't about to give in first! He finally said that he was cold and wanted to know if I was ready to go. lol
Old 07-05-2007, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

yes the A zone for CA opens this yearon July 14th. CA is broken up into zones A, B1-5 and D zones i think 1-12. CA there is a C zone as well, but in CA you can buy an AO (archery only) tag whiches allows you to hunt the A, B and D zones with archery equipment only, but you can hunt during the general season as well. So you can start your hunting the second satruday in July and hunt all the way until the fourth saturday in October hunting the different zones.

Having a velvet buck under your belt is nice, plus they are still in bachelor groups and it makes seeing bigger deer easier....however during this time the heat (100+ degrees) will get to you. Out here you hunt at dawn and at dusk unless the weather is cloudy/rainy.

If you ever want to come out to CA email me and i can send you in the right direction.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds cool to me. Hunt in the mornings and evenings and fish the rest of the time.
Are you close to San Ramon, CA?

Spudrow