Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where is the Science?

Old 07-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Banned

Default RE: Where is the Science?

ORIGINAL: WKP Todd
you will realize the idea of "scent elimination" to the point where a whitetail can't smell you is simply rediculous.
It is ridiculous. Anyway, I have found that if I wear carbon clothing that I can just forget the wind and hunt.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Second they sure as heck know what odors they expect NOT to smell in and round their beds or secluded feeding areas. As you would in your own bedroom. Deer are consistently crossing the scent streams of predators and humans or at least predators in wilderness
Shedd, sounds to me like you have been around the block with old moss-back more than once.

I wholeheartedly agree with your logic and experience. The above quote is true to an extent I believe, but like you said, each deer is different. I really believe it is possible and highly likely that a deer, no matter the age, would want to investigate a food smell and/or the odor of another deer as long as the other deer's odor does not intimidate him. As for as comparing deer to humans with their bed and feeding areas, I believe only if I "sensed/smelled" DANGER, would I not investigate. If I smell apples in my bedroom or kitchen, I will likely either ignore it or go for a bite of one. Now if I smelled apple and a Mountain Lion (predator) in there, I would surely vacate the premises.

These are just my thoughts and logical way of thinking here, not facts.

And by the way HCH, you just had to go there didn't you, you evil little man.[:-]

LT
Old 07-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Because of the many points you guys (and myself) can agree upon, I still believe the "suprise attack" is the best technique, period!

You move into an area, scout, set-up, and hunt - the first time they come through that area, you are positioned to "kill". They haven't had a chance to come through the area and smell ground scent, know something isn't right (will avoid in near future), or whatever.

Mature bucks anywhere avoid humans, human scent, and any interaction with humans - you would too if you had the past experiences with humans they have. That is why I believe the first or second time is the best time to catch them by surprise, and actually give yourself a shot even if they catch some wind at that time. I couldn't tell you how many times I've had an opportunity to slam a buck that comes strolling into our position, only to catch a bit of scent, and freeze...... Only difference, if you are at-full-draw and ready to rock, you've just added a buck to you're wall!