Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

uht oh....

Old 06-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default uht oh....

uht oh....mauser is going to his first 3d shoot EVER in the morning...a guy at work(actually an olllllld neighbor that watched me grow up) asked me and another guy/friend of mine at work to go...we both wanted to go but never did last year...both of us been slacking on the shooting this year...but figured if we go it might motivate us and get the blood pumpin...so were going. i been doing a little shooting..but not much and not enough...i know i gotta get serious here..

dont really know what to expect...but i'll let yall know how i do...well....how i liked it...i wont admit how poorly i did...i hope theres alot of close targets...35+ will kill me...my buddy said he dont care and he was shooting 20 and less lol....i will atleast TRY...
Old 06-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: uht oh....

Just rember a few things and Im sure youll do alright
1. CONCENTRATE!
2. They are just targets
3. Have Fun!
4. CONCENTRATE!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think you will find it very fun, and you will be a repeat, i guarantee it!!
Good luck, hope you do well!! May i suggest taking some binos and looking at the score ring placements, they are not where you would think sometimes. If your doing it strictly for real lifekillpracticeto gear up for hunting season, then by all means leave the binos at home Have fun!!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

I like shooting the 3d tournaments. Its a lot of fun. Heck Ive even shot the IBO world years ago. I need to get back into it. Enjoy and have fun. Only thing about shooting these 3d tournaments ya gotta watch the pencil pushers. Some cheat... And thats too bad. Thats what made me hang it up for a few years.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys...getting ready to leave now...

i could really care less about score. i know most them 3d targets are slightly off from where id aim on a live deer anyways..i never understood that. make it real...heart is 10..center punch is 12...lungs are the rest or however it goes and put it in the right spot lol...

still debating weather i want to range find them first or not...i think im going to call it...range it..then shoot it...think it will help with my range estimation if i call it first...and im down to 5 arrows....i cant afford to completely miss
Old 07-01-2007, 08:32 AM

The only things you need to know are to have fun and be courteous to other shooters. How much fun you haver really depends on who you are with. It's like any other sport or game. Some take it WAAAAY too serious and can ruin it for everyone around them. I hope you don't have that experience.

I don't keep score either. I even use a range finder when I go. I don't guess at yardage when I hunt, I'm not doing when I practice. My only concern is that I would have killed that animal. Sometimes the best score on a 3-D target is not the best shot on live game.

I don't compete though, if I did I would do it differently.

Let us know how things go. I'm sure you won't read this before you leave, so I am wasting my typing skills, but what the heck maybe you can use it next time you go.

Paul
Old 07-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

paul...didnt get it before i left...but you are right...if i wasnt with friends it wouldnt have been fun. we kept it fun...smack talked eachother here and there...laughed...congratulated...it was a good time.

it was a 30 target course. i ended up with a 230 with 3 12x's didnt miss any targets...got more 5s than i would have liked...but i been shooting to the right at home and was shooting to the right all day. time to adjust the pins i guess...

thankfully we brought a range finder...it was very decieving. alot of the targets were smaller than youd think they are...or i thought they were...it wasnt till the last 5 or 10 targets i started calling my ranges...i can call a groundhog at 350...but i cant call a foam deer at 30! lol

we also sorta cheated...there were 4 stakes to shoot from...we shot from the 2nd one back...there was 1 more between us and IBO..we should probably been shooting that one. most of the shots were still 20-30yds. i thought that stake worked out for us being hunters and not into the 3D game...

i did enjoy myself...i will definently be back most every weekend i bet...

one thing i noticed was my bow is alot more quieter than most everyones!! even the IBO shooters with 4ft stabs and STS type devices etc etc...i never got to hear many bows fire...but today i noticed mine is dang near silent compared to some of them...and as quiet as the quietest..

those X rings on the targets are pretty decieving...i heart shot most of the deer and ended up with 5s and 8s because of it! lol.

all in all i had a good time...it was fun and good practice at range estimation and shooting through the woods...they left up limbs and grasses, tight lanes etc..it was pretty nice...