Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is this legal?

Old 06-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Is this legal?

Generally when I am heading out to a tree stand in the morning, i grab an apple to eat along the way. When I arrive at the tree, i rub it against the base to try and spead some scent, then i drop it close by. Baiting is illegal in VA, so would you consider what I do as baiting and illegal, or simply as a cover scent?
Old 06-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is this legal?

My suggestion is to call the VA Wildlife Conservation office and ask that specific question.......illegal or not is not something you want to take a guess at.

(But for giggles my guess is that yes it probably will be considered illegal because even though it's only one apple, it's presence and ability to entice a game animal as a food source would be considered baiting)

Old 07-01-2007, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the part where you leave the core just crosses the line over to baiting . this came up in a discussion at a safety coarse and they said that the state would consider that baiting . The rubbing of the juice i think you would get away with

[/align]
Old 07-01-2007, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

It'd most likely be technically illegal, but seems to me a game warden would be really looking hard for to some reason to bust you if he made an issue of it. I'd probably just toss the core out into the brush. Remember, unless you were wearing rubber gloves while munching on it and doing the tree rub, it's got that pesky human scent all over it.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

I'd guess that it is technically illegal as well but I guess you would be just as likely to get a ticket for littering.

HH
Old 07-01-2007, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Theoeticly isnt using scent baiting also?
Old 07-01-2007, 08:25 AM

It will all depend on how your state classifies "baiting". Some states give a certain amount before it becomes baiting, and other states that allow baiting only allow a certain amount to be used.

I highly doubt one apple on the ground is going to be considered baiting. Just say you were eating in stand and you accidentally dropped it.

I doubt you are actually going to bring any deer in by doing that either. You might get them to stop if they walk by though. The bad thing is you rubbed it on YOUR tree and they will come right to where you are instead of being out far enough to take a good shot.

My question would be how many deer have you killed with this technique? If the answer is none or not many it probably isn't worth getting in trouble over is it.

I normally throw a few apples around where I hunt before I get in my stand, but I put them where I want the deer to be for my shot. I have never seen it attract deer, but when they come sometimes they stop long enough for me to get a shot off. I like this better than making a grunting noise to stop them. I prefer they have no idea I'm there, and I like shooting relaxed deer as opposed to alerting them right before the shot. Sometimes they just keep walking though. Maybe some deer just don't like apples?

Baiting is legal in MI though, and I am no where near maximum limit allowed.

Fair chase to me is running a deer down on foot and beating it to death with a rock. Anything beyond that is using technology or superior intellect to our advantage in order to kill an animal. Where to draw the line is the question, and most everyone has a different answer don't they. As long as it's legal and you feel comfortable with it I certainly don't have a problem with it.

Paul
Old 07-01-2007, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

It comes down to whether or not the man has been getting anything at home. I've had and heard them on a mission to write a ticket and sometimes as nice as they can be.