Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you consider an accomplished......

Old 07-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What do you consider an accomplished......

Well I agree with Huckleberry in many regards.
But I will add..and this is just my opinion..that an accomplished whitetail bowhunter or hunter in general can be dropped off in any whitetail area and have better than average ability to score. I know many of us could find a good location to hunt, in a reasonable amount of time, if we parachuted into Canada, Iowa, Ohio or Alabama etc. We know enough of the "formula" to succeed.

Yes maybe in the grand scheme this doesn't matter to some. But to me it speaks volumes about ones ability to read sign, terrain and the adaptive nature of the animal we pusue.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

I think an accomplished bowhunter is someone who can walk into an unknown set of woods and come out with a deer within4-5hunts.

To me this shows he can:

Scout
Navigate
Set up
Shoot

IMHO
Old 07-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

Successfully taking what your after...whatever that might be.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

From purely a hunting standpoint....With pressure (predation and hunting pressure) being the #1 factor in altering game animal behavior, I would consider thebowhunter that ethically and consistently (over decades)kills mature or top end educated animals an accomplished bowhunter.

Add in conservation efforts and giving back to the youth ..makeing them a complete and accomplished bowhunter...
Old 07-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Dominant Buck

If we all try hard enough....we can figure out a way todiscern why someone "ISN'T" "accomplished". I know that. Personally.....I don't think it has anything to do with shooting different animals. We have people in this forum that likely only hunt whitetails with the bow.....and I'd hazard a guess that many of them are worthy of being called "accomplished". I don't think it has anything to do with hunting "quality" animals. What is a "quality" animal? That definition's in the eyes of the bowholder. How many years he's been hunting? Why is this a criteria? If Bill "accomplishes" in one year what it took Sam 10yrs to achieve.....who's more "accomplished"?

If you asked me.....A HUGE determining factor in this whole thing is where one lives....and the access one has to the animals he's pursuing. It's a pretty good bet I wouldn't have the chance to shoot the number of deer I do if I hunted where many of you hunt. Ditto the guys who consistently shoot large racked deer. They live or hunt where those deer are. Is a guy who goes to an outfitter in TX ....and takes a 180" deer every year more "accomplished" than a guy who takes the top % of deer from his available woods? What about the guys from the big buck states? Are they more "accomplished" ...based solely on geography?

Look around when you're at your local bow shop......at your peers. If it's important to you......think about whehter or not you feel like an "accomplished" bow hunter when compared to them.

Am I an "accomplished" bowhunter? I don't know....nor do I care (and I don't mean that sound bad....I just don't care if anyone thinks I'm 'accomplished'). I want them to see me as an ethical hunter. If they feel I'm "Accomplished"......so be it. If they don't....again...I sleep just fine. If you're hunting legally....ethically....and you're doing what you set out to do.......all the while maintaining a balance with your work/family.....

...then congratulations on your accomplishment.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

To go by the definition, an accomplished bowhunter would be expert in all aspects of the sport. That is, he/she would be an excellent woodsman, scout extensively, be able to read maps/topos to find deer bedding and travel areas, be a student of their prey, be excellent archers, have good tuning skills, know weather patterns and how it affects movement of game, and on and on.

I believe there are very few people out there that fit this criteria. I know I certainly don't in my 19 years in this sport.

By some of the definitions described accomplished is simply accomplishing what one set out to do. That is fine as well. It just depends on if you go by the dictionary definition or a more literal definition.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Just felt compelled to add.......

I know a young man that shoots 10+ deer a year. He and his brother are probably two of the most prolific killers of deer I've ever met to be their age. They hunt NC/VA....and I may be low on my estimation of kills (with DMAP permits involved). They absolutely aren't gonna get shut out for a season. They score time and time again.....year in and year out....and have since they began hunting as very young boys. They shoot everything that comes into range.

I also know a few guys that hunt certain animals exclusively. They might (and probably did) have gone through this stage at one point in their journey......but for them, now.....it's not about the numbers. I guess what I'm saying is.....I have a respect for the latter.....much more than I do the former.....when we speak of "accomplished". Men that I would consider "accomplished" need not prove their prowess to anyone to feel a sense of pride in what they're out to do. In fact....I'd bet it rarely (if ever) crosses their minds.

At the end of the day/season.....there's a handful of people that I truly want to receive feedback from regarding my pursuits. I suppose I'm not alone in this thinking....though I don't know for sure.

Hunting is SO personal. There are people in this forum that have my respect......not for what they "accomplish"......but HOW they go about attempting to accomplish their goals......and for not compromising their beliefs in their pursuits. It's quite obvious when I come into contact with these people.....though they probably didn't set out trying to prove anything to me or anyone else.

An accomplished huntershould bea role model. I think the true "accomplished" hunters (with whatever weapon) are out there.....in here....and I think we know them when we learn a little about them.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:55 AM

[/align]
i think a accomplished bowhunter is a person who takes the time and patience to hunt a animal every year regardless of sucess or failure! It shouldnt matter if its a170 or not what should matter is the time spent pursuing!
we love the chase lets face it gentlemen!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I’m just curious here. If we asked this question regarding football, would you guys still consider Kordell Stewart as an accomplished QB just as you would Joe Montana?
Old 07-03-2007, 08:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes I would.

When you consider how many millions of kids play high school football.......and then narrow that down for college......then narrow that down to D1.......then narrow that down to the guys who get drafted.......then narrow that down to the guys who see playing time.......then narrow that down to the guys who actually earn a starting job.

Damned right I'd consider him an accomplished QB.

Quick Reply: What do you consider an accomplished......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.